This page is where you can find information on the new Laws of Duplicate Bridge, which have been introduced by the World Bridge Federation in 2017, as it becomes available. The following video provides an introduction to the implementation of the laws, and how it will affect the more commonly encountered scenarios - those covered in our 'How Can I Help You?' series of videos.
Everyone is required to introduce the new law by the end of September, but we are intending to use them in EBU events from the start of August to coincide with the annual updates to the Blue Book and White Book.
A printed version of the laws is available for purchase now.
Alternatively you can download the pdf version of the book here:
Or they can also be downloaded in various formats from the World Bridge Federation website:
- 2017 Laws of Duplicate Bridge – paginated
- 2017 Laws of Duplicate Bridge – with highlights
- 2017 Laws of Duplicate Bridge – no highlights
TD Training Documents
These documents may be used in TD training courses, so if you are intending to attend one you may wish to wait until afterwards before using them.
- New Laws changes – overview
- Comparable Calls
- Law 50E – information from penalty cards
- Laws 68-71– claims
- Law 86 – adjusted scored in teams events
If you have any specific queries please contact the EBU's Chief Tournament Director, Gordon Rainsford.
The WBF have issued a notice advising of two errors in the text which they provided for the printing of the law books, and which has only been noticed after the EBU had printed their version of the book. These errors have been corrected in the EBU's pdf version which can be downloaded via the above link, however those purchasing a copy of the book should note the necessary changes.
Under 'Play', the final sentence should be numbered 4. So the full definition of play reads:
- 1. The contribution of a card from one’s hand to a trick, including the first card, which is the lead.
- 2. The aggregate of plays made.
- 3. The period during which the cards are played.
- 4. The aggregate of the calls and plays on a board.
In Law 23 C:
Law 30B1(b)(ii) should be Law 30B1(b)(i)