Club TD Training Courses
Club Tournament Directors Courses are run by English Bridge Education and Development (EBED) to help equip participants with the necessary skills which will enable them to run events, from local club duplicates to county events and beyond. Training for tournament directors at county and national level is run by the EBU.
Club Tournament Director Courses are open to all bridge players and clubs, regardless of EBU affiliation. They are the first step on the ladder and consist of four modules: Essentials, Book Rulings, Judgement Rulings and Assessment. These courses are run nationally in response to demand from individual clubs. Please email email@example.com if your club would be interested in hosting a suite of these courses. Upcoming courses are listed at www.ebedcio.org.uk/td-course-calendar
Other 1/2 or 1day TD Training Courses
In addition EBED can run bespoke half or one day courses tailored to the objectives of the host club/county which might include (not exhaustive).
- Refresher courses on book rulings, intended for those who have sat the Club TD course in the past and would like a chance to update their knowledge or ask about difficult situations
- Next Step Courses on judgement rulings for competition players who want to make sure they are aware of their rights, or directors who would eventually like to go on to County/National level
- Course providing help with the scoring technology, what to do when someone pulls out the wrong plug, the capabilities of EBUScore vs other software, movement questions
- Managing difficult situations at the table – stopping a confrontation between players before it escalates – Enforcing Best Behaviour @ Bridge - how to manage an appeal
- How/when/why to call a director – an intro aimed at new players to be more ready/willing to seek help as soon as something goes wrong
- “I need a new partner” – well we don’t have a course for that one yet I’m afraid – but ask Richard if you have another idea instead !
Other useful resources for Club Directors
The EBU has created a series of videos to help Club Tournament Directors deal with six of the more commonly occurring situations. They can be viewed at www.ebu.co.uk/laws-and-ethics/td-videos
You can download useful flow charts on more commonly infringed laws from www.ebu.co.uk/documents/laws-and-ethics/laws/flow-charts.pdf.
The latest edition of the Blue Book has been published (effective from August) and can be downloaded from http://www.ebu.co.uk/laws-and-ethics/blue-book
Please make sure your club is using the current version.