The Overseas Congress at Lake Garda finished yesterday, with the main competitions, the Swiss Pairs and Swiss Teams, having been won by Lorna Swadling & Alistair Gidman (both Oxon), and by Talbot team.
Lorna & Alistair won the three-session Swiss Pairs by a single VP from Sue Woodcock & Stuart Clarke (both Lancs). They started the final session in 14th place, but four large victories saw them leap up to the top spot. Peter Bowles & Warner Solomon (both Devon) led with two matches to play, but defeat to the eventual top two pairs saw them drop to third.
The three-session Swiss Teams was won by Denis Talbot, Kathy Talbot (both Oxon), Chris Taylor (Essex) & David Wing (London) with 140 VPs from their ten matches; pictured here receiving their trophies from Hannah Williams of event sponsors Bridge Overseas. They were undefeated in their first nine matches, and were already assured of victory before defeat in their final match. The team of Tom Gisborne, Sandy Davies (both Yorks), Joyce Skelton (Worcs) & Pam Pearce (Gloucs) were second on 132 VPs, and Sue Woodcock, Nick Woodcock, Stuart Clarke & Susan Fjortoft (all Lancs) were third on 127 VPs.
The other winners at the congress were:
- Pre-congress Pairs - Denis Murphy & Pearl Murphy (both Yorks)
- Open Pairs - Kathy Talbot & Chris Taylor
- Pivot Teams - red section: Nick Woodcock, Sue Woodcock, Susan Fjortoft, Stuart Clarke; white section: Heather Harvey, Susan Pell, Christina Powne, Carole Kelly (all Yorks)
- Mixed Pairs - Howard Basden-Smith & Sue Rankin (both Channel Islands) (on split tie with Simon Stokes (Leics) & Carolyn Fisher (Warks))
- Men's Pairs - Nelson Stephens & David Jones (both Avon)
- Women's pairs - Tuula Lehtinen & Jackie Rumball (both Channel Islands)
The results from all the competitions at the congress, and pictures of the winners, can be seen via the links below.