Home County to County Discussion Group

Update on Vision / Mission / Values Statements

Listening in to what people say, and thinking also for themselves, the Board has moved onto a next version of these, not set in stone but converging on what will be finalised at the EBU AGM in November. The latest versions are

VISION : Bridge is recognised as the best mindsport, and has become the most popular card game in England, providing individuals and society with social, health and intellectual benefits.

MISSION : The EBU exists to represent the interests of all bridge players in England; it provides a valued set of services to these players (and to those learning the game) and to their bridge clubs, to ensure that playing bridge is an enjoyable experience.

VALUES : We will achieve our vision in a collaborative way with players, volunteers, employees and partners, based on the principles of inclusivity, transparency and mutual respect.

Thoughts still welcome.

Comments

• Gloucestershire County Association had gone down the same path, to help clarify what we as a CBA are all about. Its latest drafts of these statements for GCBA are

VISION : anyone who is or might be interested in the game of bridge in Gloucestershire has access to a plentiful supply of learning and playing opportunities.

MISSION : to represent, and provide support to, all bridge clubs in the county, and to supply whatever bridge services that these clubs cannot provide to players or potential players in the county.

VALUES : we will achieve our vision working in a collaborative way with all clubs and players in the county, and with neighbouring counties, based on the principles of inclusivity, transparency and mutual respect.

• VALUES : we will achieve our vision working in a collaborative way with all clubs and players in the county, and with neighbouring counties, based on the principles of inclusivity, transparency and mutual respect.

Typo above - should read "and with neighbouring countries"

• "Bridge is recognised as the best mindsport"

That'll never happen, and it's just a bit silly that the Board would even consider it. What does it even mean? Best in what sense? There are loads of great games out there, many of which could be called "better than bridge" by some definition, and claiming that bridge somehow beats them all just comes across as a bit conceited. I love bridge - it's great - but it's not a game for everyone, or for every situation, and we have to realise that that's completely fine. Personally, I think we should be doing more to attract people from other games, and encouraging our own members to try other things. Bridge isn't everything, and stubbornly hanging on to the B in EBU does not seem to me to be a good long-term strategy. But if you think that's going a bit far then at least tone down the elitist language.

"Bridge is recognised as a great mindsport, and one of the most popular card games in England..."

Michael

• @patricks said:
    Listening in to what people say, and thinking also for themselves, the Board has moved onto a next version of these, not set in stone but converging on what will be finalised at the EBU AGM in November. The latest versions are

VISION : Bridge is recognised as the best mindsport, and has become the most popular card game in England, providing individuals and society with social, health and intellectual benefits.

MISSION : The EBU exists to represent the interests of all bridge players in England; it provides a valued set of services to these players (and to those learning the game) and to their bridge clubs, to ensure that playing bridge is an enjoyable experience.

VALUES : We will achieve our vision in a collaborative way with players, volunteers, employees and partners, based on the principles of inclusivity, transparency and mutual respect.

Thoughts still welcome.

@patricks said:

Thoughts still welcome.

• I think the latest version is an improvement and very close to an ideal.
    I’d only suggest two minor tweaks:
    1, I’d change “best” mindsport for “leading” not a huge change but consistent with a vision of significant growth, dynamic promotion and innovation- that I’d like to see
    2, in the mission statement I would avoid two “and” in the same sentence, just to make it read very slightly better.

• VISION : Bridge is recognised as the best mindsport, and has become the most popular card game in England,
    providing individuals and society with social, health and intellectual benefits.

This seems to be an assertion. Can a vision be an assertion? I would have thought a vision would be an aspiration. But it may be that I simply don't understand what the "vision" is meant to be.

If this is in fact an aspiration it's rather vague. There are already social, health and intellectual benefits so that is not an aspiration. As for popularity, I don't believe that is the only thing we care about. I think we care about bridge played to a high standard and improving that standard - which is not only about top level players, but about the quality of bridge experience for all players. Bridge played fairly, pleasantly, and with a welcome to those of every standard.

Incidentally, I don't like the term "mindsport". It seems to be a way of getting round the fact that considering bridge as a sport is controversial because it is physically undemanding. But the questions of whether bridge is or is not a sport is not very interesting to me. I think I don't like the term because it seems apologetic. Please take us seriously even though we don't run or jump. Bridge doesn't need that.

I'd be wary of the passive tense. "Bridge is recognised." It begs the question, by whom? Often used as a way of avoiding precisely that question.

MISSION : The EBU exists to represent the interests of all bridge players in England; it provides a valued set of
    services to these players (and to those learning the game) and to their bridge clubs, to ensure that playing
    bridge is an enjoyable experience.

I am deeply unhappy with any mission statement that does not mention bridge clubs. It suggests we no longer care about them? Yet we are an association of clubs.

VALUES : We will achieve our vision in a collaborative way with players, volunteers, employees
    and partners, based on the principles of inclusivity, transparency and mutual respect.

I like these except that I have no idea what the vision is meant to mean so therefore how do we achieve it? Though perhaps these values should be inherent and don't need to be stated as such. Also, I'd like to see some direct reference to working with member clubs.

Thoughts still welcome.

Happy to oblige!

Tim

• Apologies (and I am sorry I can't edit my post) I do see that the mission statement mentions bridge clubs and I am not sure how I missed it! What is the meaning of the word "valued" in the mission statement though, why would anyone want to provide services that are not valued? What scope does the mission statement give for the EBU to provide benefits of affiliation? What about working to raise the standard of bridge, is that encompassed at all? Why no mention of our members?

Apologies again.

Tim

1. A vague aspiration for the vision works for me, as it gives the sense of direction and the fact that it is difficult to test or difficult to achieve doesn't detract from that sense of giving direction.

2. The word "valued" might be redundant but what its presence does is remind us to test every service which is delivered to check that it is valued. Its presence might not be necessary but it is helpful.

3. The mision as written is agnostic about the uniformity or not of delivery of benefits; that is part of the debate to follow in these discussions.

• Perhaps we could at least remove the words "card game" from the mission statement. Card games are in decline. We should aim higher.

Tim

• @timanderson said:
    Card games are in decline.

I'm sure you really mean "traditional card games", but this rather illustrates my point. There are a ton of great card games out there that are very much not in decline, and I think it's a blindspot at the EBU that we barely even know they exist. So yeah, people might not play much Pinochle or Scopa or Solo any more, but who cares when instead they're playing:

Magic: The Gathering (still going strong after 25 years)
    Netrunner (still going strong despite being killed off by the publishers)
    All of these games
    Barbu (very popular amongst bridge players)
    Hearthstone/Slay The Spire (why shouldn't digital games count?)

• What I mean is that if you polled the entire population and asked questions like "do you play any card games regularly" the percentage of positive responses would be less now than 10 years ago, and that would be less than it was 20 years ago. I did mean card games with traditional packs but even extended to games like Magic: The Gathering my hunch is that we would still find a decline. I admit though I am guessing and would love to see solid data on the subject.

Tim