Home Club Forum

Playing while directing

I do not play when I direct, but some people do. What is the general view on this, given the TD can technically see deals,bidding and play at other tables and some player may make accusations - either based on genuine conviction or just malicious? In F2F games, the TD will not play a board if (s)he has had to rule on it and take an average.

Comments

• As I understand it, if you direct when registered as a player, you cannot see hands you haven't played. This may help security but might limit your efficacy as a director.

I have heard of people directing on one computer and playing on another. I think this would be ill-advised in the current climate when it is hard to know whether illicit behaviour or the suspicion of it is more widespread.

• Much the same, I prefer not to play and direct, occasionally I've done it to make up the numbers in quieter club games. Also when I do play at York I tend to be consulted by the directors there on trickier rulings. I think the same as F2f, it's not ideal but not impossible for club games.

As Gordon says, you can't go to tables to view hands which can limit your efficiency, you can see player results for previous rounds and follow the round progress via table history / tournament status. A director call will potentially lead to unauthorised information about a hand, same is in normal bridge. The TD can award an average if they feel their ability to play a board has been compromised, same as they should do in 'over the board' club bridge.