Home Scoring and other IT questions

How to Test Upload of Results to the EBU

I have developed a simple Bridge Club Scoring application for small Bridge Clubs which I hope scorers and directors will find much easier to use and much more intuitive than the current offerings.

I have successfully tested the upload of Results to Bridgewebs using the USEBIO v1.2 format. I would now like to test the uploading of results to the EBU.

Does the EBU provide any facilities for testing the programmatic upload of results to the EBU website? If not how are developers expected to test this feature?

Comments

• edited February 2021

You can use any My EBU club login to test an upload (note that you will need to make sure that the club IDs align in the USEBIO file). If unsuccessful, it will return an error message.

If successful, then you have a choice of deleting it or submitting as a quick test, checking the results sheet and masterpoints display, and then removing it shortly afterwards.

• Sorry, could you expand on this answer a bit more please.
    Are you saying that I can Login as a person and then upload a USEBIO file manually?

I was hoping that there is a facility to do this programmatically using a HttpPOST Request or something similar. In which case I would need to know what parameters the HttpPOST request takes.

Doing it manually would be a good test that I had got the data in the USEBIO file correct and correctly formatted, but from user point of view it is better done automatically under program control.

Thanks for replying.

• I don't know about a programmatic way of doing this, although I presume there is one since Pianola sends results to the EBU automatically.

I was simply referring to the login that your club uses to upload your regular club sessions. You can then use your new program, create a USEBIO file from that and upload it in exactly the same way.

You can't upload club session results via an individual My EBU account (unless you have scorer privileges for a particular club).

• edited February 2021

There is a programmatic way of uploading results using the EBU API, for those of a more technical bent, but it still requires a club login.

• Great ! Thanks Gordon and Malcolm, that is what I wanted.
    I'm going to give it a whirl.

I might be in touch if/when I run into problems. I've already created many USEBIO files and uploaded them to Bridgewebs - so touch wood, I can get this going too.

• Gordon is it possible/permitted to set up a "Test Club" on the EBU site to which I can log on and test upload of USEBIO results and other functions without mucking up my club (even temporarily)?

I adopted this approach with Bridgewebs very successfully. They permitted me to set up a "Tony Hedge Test Club" on Bridgewebs.

If you look at the Results on https://www.bridgewebs.com/tonyhedgetest/home.html you can see the test results I have uploaded (all in USEBIO format). I am keen to repeat the upload of some of these results to the EBU.

• I'm afraid we don't have that capacity as any club would be a real club, with results being processed for NGS. If you could get permission from a club, you could upload results as long as you deleted them before they were processed overnight for NGS.