Home EBU TDs

Being able to look at my system card - is it a Good Thing?

edited April 2021 in EBU TDs

One of the big changes with on-line play is being able to look at your system card. I've been wondering how much difference it makes to the game - is it still "bridge"?

Personally, I prefer it. Less silly mistakes and more opportunity to use sophisticated systems to better evaluate our hands. Yes I know bridge is in part a test of memory, but why are some things allowed to be noted and others not? I can be reminded of the contract when it is my turn to play, but not of what was played to the last trick but one. Indeed the previous auction is available to me during the auction period but previous plays are generally not during the play period.

To my mind, the bridge skill is in knowing how to use these conventions, not in remembering the conventions themselves. OK I know allowing reference to system cards could see overly complicated systems being used to the detriment of the opposition, but I don't see that happening at the moment.

Similar thoughts arise around the ability to see the auction during the play, making it less of a test of memory and more a test of ability to use the information.

Comments?

Comments

• Online bridge is to bridge as 20-20 cricket is to first-class cricket: very similar but slightly different. (20-20 cricket is more popular than first class and the same analogy applies here)

As you say, to many people, playing online is probably resulting in improved performances as the number of sill contract decreases and that no doubt makes Bridge a more pleasant game, equally being able to see the auction reduces the memory load - and you don't get penalised for BOOTS, revokes and IBs. The extra structure IMHO helps many players. This makes playing bridge reasonably well accessible to a much wider audience, which can only be good. (The main problem I think is how to get players to play and organise teaching sessions. Have EBED any good ideas for recruitment online?)

To the purist, however, bridge is a game of memory (amongst other things) and those with the best memory deserve their rewards.

(I am about to play a session with my regular partner who suffered a stroke in December - and therefore has lapses in concentration and memory. I don't know if he uses the convention card on a regular basis, but it can certainly help him play better than without it - mind you the last time we played we got 29.4% in a normal club session)

• I have a 60-odd-page system document with one of my partners and, over the past year, being able to reference it at need, I think each of us has forgotten much of the system. I used to revisit and revise many of the less-frequented parts of the system but why to bother when it's there in front of me at need?

Going back to f2f bridge is going to require a lot of homework to memorise it all again.

• edited May 2021

: is it a Good Thing?

No. Its a different thing. It is not the worst thing that has been done for online bridge.