Home EBU TDs

He said what?!? - advice requested on a BB@B situation.

Realbridge, last board, last round, I get called to a table.

EW are unhappy about UI given by S to N. I look at this and make a ruling. There is clearly tension at the table.

While I'm there, EW say they are unhappy with the way NS behaved towards them when they raised their concerns - I didn't see this of course. At this point S leaves the table and we hear N's phone ring. He answers it and we hear what is obviously his partner on the phone say "what was the f**ing twt on about?" (or very similar).

Whilst it was not intended for the EW to hear, they did.

Should I do anything about the expletive ridden statement that was effectively within earshot? (N should have muted his mic before answering.)
Can I take it as evidence of the bad behaviour EW had complained about?

I'm not sure it's relevant, but E can be awkward at times.

Comments

• I think the expletive heard by EW is North's fault not South's. North should not have taken the call while at the table.

I would issue a procedural penalty for allowing the language to be heard.

I don't think it is worth trying to find evidence of the earlier bad behaviour - warn North that if he behaved as EW alleged, this is unacceptable - and report the whole incident the tournament organiser.

• For how long after the last card of the session should one not take calls? Surely play had ceased in order for Jeremy to give a ruling? If so, I would hold South primarily at fault as he should have known that by phoning North and swearing expletives, there was a significant chance that he would be heard.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• "EW say they are unhappy with the way NS behaved towards them when they raised their concerns - I didn't see this of course."

I would also want to know from the players how EW "raised their concerns". Some players can be quite inflammatory when doing so.

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• @Senior_Kibitzer said:
    For how long after the last card of the session should one not take calls? Surely play had ceased in order for Jeremy to give a ruling? If so, I would hold South primarily at fault as he should have known that by phoning North and swearing expletives, there was a significant chance that he would be heard.

S left while I was there dealing with the call, and then immediately phoned N. I think the bar on taking calls (or requirement to mute) should extend to when the director is dealing with a call at their table.

• @Senior_Kibitzer said:

I would also want to know from the players how EW "raised their concerns". Some players can be quite inflammatory when doing so.

Oh there's a high probaility that EW were inflammatory, but if NS don't call me to complain (or complain when I'm at the table), then there's little I can do about it.

• They might not have meant EW to hear it, but NS have failed in their joint responsibility to make sure EW don't hear these remarks, and I wouldn't be happy that South walked away from the table while I was ruling. I agree with Robin on this one, disciplinary penalty.

It's poor behaviour in itself, not really evidence of earlier poor behaviour. You just have to make a call on that one, and if the table situation is heated it's often hard to tell who is at fault. It sounds likely that the entire table could use a warning.

• @JamesC said:
    They might not have meant EW to hear it, but NS have failed in their joint responsibility to make sure EW don't hear these remarks, and I wouldn't be happy that South walked away from the table while I was ruling. I agree with Robin on this one, disciplinary penalty.

Robin actually suggested proecedural penalty.