Home Scoring and other IT questions

Wrong scoring method.

Recently at our club the TD set up a normal pairs event on EBUscore without realising that the previous event had been scored using IMPs. The event was thus started off as IMP scoring in error.
The mistake was noticed during the second round.
I amended the scoring method in EBUscore and now EBUscore showed the results in Matchpoints
However the Bridgemates were still showing results in IMPs.

It didnt matter greatly as we had the correct scores on EBUscore at the end of the evening. However, is there a method the change the bridgemates to MP scoring without resetting the whole event?

Comments

• This happened again yesterday at our club. It was noticed during round 1. At the end of the round I reset the server and copied all the results back from EBUscore to the server and thus to the Bridgemates. However the Bridgemates were still showing IMPs scoring.
    I guess that the lack of response to my original post means that nobody has a solution?

• I have had no experience of your problem. That said how about after you have amended the scoring method in EbuScore press 10 in the TD menu to reset each Bridgemate and give it the same table number. I think that would be the same as replacing a BridgeMate. I could be wrong but you could try it next time.

CMOT

• I think the scoring method is recorded no just on the server but on the bridgemates themselves.

But it might work to change the scoring method settings in BCS

• I would try updating the movement, without actually changing it. That should send the details to the Bridgemates again.

• I was a bit puzzled by your post Gordon but did a bit more reading of the BridgeMates II manual and found pages 57 & 58 seem to cover the problem, as you say.

CMOT

• Thank you. I will try that next time.

• I had this problem recently and asked Nigel Lancaster from Bridgemate what the best solution was, his reply is below:

There's no way that isn't a little messy.

The field that holds the scoring-type indicator is ScoringType in the bws Section table:
    • 1 = match-pointed pairs
    • 3 = cross-imps
    One way or another you would need to update this field from [in your case] 3 to 1.

I don't think EBUScore would ever update the Section table once the initial bws file has been created.
    In any event, if the ScoringType field were to be updated, you would need to perform a Server Recovery
    in BCS in order for the server to be aware of the change.

It is possible for an experienced TD to change the value of the ScoringType field using BCS Tools/Database editor,
    but this would still need to be followed by a Server Recovery.

Not for the faint-hearted.