Home Scoring and other IT questions

BOS files and Bridgewebs

My local is club is slowly getting back to face-to-face bridge after about 18 months' absence. We have always created deal files using BOS. We always create the files, make sure it generates the hand analysis to give the makable and optimal contracts, print a couple of hand records and deal the boards.

When it comes to runnning the games the practice is not so uniform. I use EBUScore, import the deal files before starting the game, and upload the results to bridgewebs at the end. All the other directors use ScoreBridge, upload the results to bridgewebs and add the hand records manually using the admin function on the club website.

Club members have starting complaining that the makable and optimal contracts are not showing on the hand records on the website. That is, they aren't for any of the games that I'm not running. My hand records all look fine, as they always have, but those features are missing in all other games. (They do appear on the printed hand records.) One of the other directors is trying to find out why and has run out of ideas.

The change seems to have coincided with the lockdown break, but our practice hasn't changed. Has something about BOS or bridgewebs changed in the meantime?

My co-director tried exporting files he had created in BOS. It offers three formats: .dlm, .dup and .pbn. He ticked all three, but found the exported files were not what was promised. The icons look like this:

He thinks that he needs a .pbn file to load up to bridgewebs, but it isn't creating one. Presumably I'm attaching a file of a different format (.dlm, perhaps) and EBUScore is coping with it.

Does this make sense to anyone who knows their way around deal file formats? Can anyone suggest what might have changed, and what we could do to put it right?

Comments

• Hi VixTD

I don't think anything has changed. If you produce a new file and say call it 031221 and prepare the hands in BOS. Once you have finished dealing the cards you need to go to Windows explorer and look in

Windows (c) <> BOS <>Events <> 031221 <> DATA and you should see something like

The pbn file has the Notebook icon (light blue). That file can be uploaded to EBUscore or Scorebridge and then uploaded to Bridgemates to check the lead card (if you wish) and from there to Bridgewebs via EBUScore or Scorebridge. Seems to me that missing out loading up to scorebridge might be causing the problem but I am not certain. Anyway they should be able to find the pbn file and could try that.
    Hope this helps.

Best wishes
    CMOT

• Hi VixTD
    I am not aware of any issues. The method we use is as follows , Bridgewebs releases the deal file after inputting the scores, but the deal file is added to the calendar at the time of dealing.

In BOS after dealing, select Export file and follow instructions. I select a pbn file and download it to the desktop. This will create an icon on the desktop (which I delete the following week)

I then up load the file in Bridgewebs via the list calendar and browse and select the file from the desktop in the C drive .

Bridgewebs has changed a bit as the calendar now has extra boxes to deal with on line events

We re-opened in July and have had no issues with deal file uploads to Bridgewebs

regards

Ross

• Thanks for your responses. I'll pass them on to my co-director.

He's actually solved the problem by adding the file that has the king-card symbol onto Bridgewebs, and that seems to work OK. He's always used the cloverleaf file (dlm), and that one has stopped working. So we can now get full hand records with all features on bridgewebs, and the only mystery is why we can no longer do it with dlm files.

I know you can add the files before the game so they only become live after the results are posted.

Thanks again.

• edited December 2021

I may have misunderstood, but isn't there a connect deal file button in Scorebridge? On the Scoresheets screen - Preferences for this event only. Connect this file, when creating the event if you wish, then upload to Bridgewebs as normal on completion. If you use Bridgemates, then hand records can be shown on these as well after each board or at end of round. Can't comment on other devices.

• Hi Triffid

.I have not used (spotted ) this option before - under "Club Preferences" - "Scoring Preferences" and will try it out - it may save time loading deals into the calendar -, The instruction from the Help page are :

"Include Hand Record
    To include a Hand Record File file to every event
    •in the Score Sheet Preferences check the box "Always include Deal On Score Screen"
    In the Web Preferences check the box "Include Deal With Travellers" and it will appear on the on the ScoreBridge Traveller web page
    BridgeWebs

If you use BridgeWebs then once the hand record file is included into the event, it is automatically uploaded to BridgeWebs when you upload the event file."