Home EBU Tournaments

Tournament Stratification

Firstly, I just wanted to add a quick request that players' strats are listed alongside the overall results, which would help those playing work out how they ranked within their stratification. I'm not sure how easy this is to do outside of EBUScore, although I note that the relevant masterpoints have been added to those eligible.

Secondly, and the main purpose of this discussion, is whether a change to the stratification system is needed. At the Year End Congress, the number of 'B'/'C' strat pairs and teams was very small relative to the size of the field. This in part reflects the rather unique circumstances of the event this year with it both being online but the first time in a while that families have been able to meet in person. However, it also reflects the success of the 'Jack High' and improver events that now attract players that might previously have filled some of those 'B' and 'C' strats.

Currently, all players who have been in congress bridge for a while (i.e. high masterpoint rank) or are relatively strong (Ace and above) are automatically placed in 'A' strat, which accounted for the vast majority of players at this congress (as you would expect for a national event in any other sport I suppose).

I am very much in favour of stratification and, if publicised in the right way, hopefully it gives the lower NGS players a target or a more useful comparison. However, it would be interesting to see how the 'A'/'B'/'C' ratio would differ if e.g. using just NGS (Ace+, King+, Queen-; or perhaps AD+, AC+, King-), using the average of pairs' NGSs instead of the higher of them etc. There won't be a perfect solution and it will always be contentious, but trying to have an equal split might be beneficial.