Home Scoring and other IT questions

Teams of four, playing both pairs

Is there a movement whereby, let's say we have four teams of four, but instead of playing three rounds, we can play six rounds, so that each pair will play both of the opposing pair in each of the other three teams?

Comments

• You can play 3 rounds of 8 boards, but have the pairs swap over after 4 boards... so play 24 boards in total.

I think you would need to have the boards duplicated, so that each set of boards are played at the same time

1v2 boards 1-8, NS and EW for team 2 swap seats after 4 boards
    3v4 boards 1-8 etc

You could get away with one set of boards, but the chances of errors would incease I think. If you do, then 1v2 play 1&2 at one table and 3&4 at the other... whilst team 3v4 play 5&6 and 7&8, they pass the boards between their own teams. After 4 boards, swap the boards over so that 1&2 now play 5&6 and 7&8 etc

You could make it 3 rounds of 10 boards, 1 team swapping seat after 5, to make 30 boards in total.
  • Martin's solution is the best if you have multiple copies of the boards. Most importantly of course it allows the production of cross-imp scores so that you can 'prove' who was the best pair. If you only have one set of boards I have a movement you could use designed by Brian Best from Berks and Bucks with clear instructions but which would need to be scored by hand unless you wrote the movement into EBUScore.

• If you are playing on RealBridge you should select a 2x1/2 movement which allows you to score and change places half way through each round.

• The trick is to play head-to-head matches throughout - no stagger movement. And tables in the same match sharing boards. It is easiest to handle the pivot by playing the complete matches as two halves (2 x 1/2) rather than a double round robin. Playing that way: the two matches can swap board sets at half time, so you only need one set of (e.g. 24) boards, with 4 boards being shared between two tables.