Home Scoring and other IT questions

EBUScore Version 1.2.12

A new version of EBUScore Pairs is now available through My EBU.

This version is recommended for all users and fixes the following issues:

• Fixes Notepad related error for Windows 11 users
  • Master Point scale G for Major Championship Pairs now gives correct awards
  • Email addresses ending with .scot or .club will now be accepted as valid email addresses
  • Option to upload to Bridgewebs as XML file (CSV option also still available)

Updated versions of the other programs will follow.

Jonathan Lillycrop

Comments

• Thanks Jonathan. 1.2.12 does indeed seem to fix some Notepad -related errors (eg on Select Movement>Show Movement and on Events>Reports>Display on Screen), but I still get errors on Player Names>Print Names>Text File, Player Database>Print Player Lists>Text File, and on Events>Print Event List>Text File). Interestingly, I also get these errors on Pairs Scorer..

• Thank you for making me aware of that, I will look into it.

• Just to clarify this Notepad problem, Windows 11 includes a new version of Notepad (after 39 years since it was las released in 1983!!). There is an AppActivate in EBUScore which moved the focus to Notepad...but unfortunately this caused the error. The fix is probably removing that AppActivate but meantime there is a fix just to revert back to the old NotePad. I just tried it and it worked easily using the site https://thegeekpage.com/notepad-missing/. Essentially you search 'Optional Features' in Windows search box, search for Notepad and then Uninsgtall it. Much to my surprise, once I uninstalled the new Notepad, the old one was adopted - I didnt need to install anything.

BUT you do get an annoying ‘A new version of Notepad is available’ so need to resist the temptation to install it.
    (For experienced IT people, they can just overwrite the old Notepad.exe into c:\windows\system32 folder (but you have to overcome permissions issues possibly))

As an IT nerd, I couldnt resist reinstalling the New Notepad. This takes you to Windows App in Microsoft Store and you install the App. Much to my surprise, the original Notepad error in EBUScore now disappeared!!

I have to say there didnt seem any particular advantage with the new Notepad - it has a Zoom In / Out facility and a UI design refresh,including dark mod (uh!), but little really to shout about given the old Notepad has stood the test of time.

• Just a quuick note - if I submit XML files to Bridgewebs it does not seem to attach the deal files - whereas it does with CSVs