Home EBU TDs

Faced up opening lead

Hello !

I will be very pleased if you help me with the following infruction.

The bidding is as follows ;

W N E S
1cl 1d p 1h
2cl dbl ! P 2h
P P P

( E asks the meaning of dbl : S answers " penalty ")

W leads the h3 as faced up then N rectifies S' explanation as " it wasn't penalty it was support dbl (3 cards h)
TD !

Questions :

Since the lead has been made as faced up

1) Does E still have a right to change his " P" and bid 3cl or else ( due to MI)

2) Does W still have a right to change his opening lead (h3 ) ( if they remain as defenders )

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Regards.

Secaaddin Ozdeniz

Comments

• edited June 2022

The relevant Law is Law 47E2. This normally allows a player to correct a play made due to misinformation, as long as it is the most recently played card (i.e. not even an opponent has played a card since). However, there is an exception in Law 47E2a – the opening lead cannot be retracted after dummy has been faced (or partially faced; just one card is enough to prevent a retraction).

So if dummy has been faced, it's too late to correct; we play on and adjust away any advantage N/S would have gained (Law 47E2b).

If dummy has not been faced yet, then West's opening lead is retracted, and West is under no obligation to lead the same card again; the retracted card is AI to East/West and UI to North/South (Law 16C). West can lead a different card (or the same card again).

As for changing the bidding, this is only possible as long as the auction period has not ended (Law 21B1a). The auction period ends when, after the end of the auction, a defender faces an opening lead (Law 17D1); therefore in your situation, the auction period has ended, and thus it is too late for East to change the final pass. If N/S gained an advantage as a result, it will be adjusted away (Law 21B3).

• Thank you very much for your help.
    Regards.
    Secaaddin Ozdeniz