Home EBU TDs

Law 57 or 50

Hello ,

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Q1) S is playing 3nt. W leads spQ , small from dummy , E takes it with spK and declarer ducks. Before E plays W plays h2 ( not realizing that Q was covered with K by E) TD is called.

Which laws apply ? ( L53- 50/57 ) and what are the declarer's rights ?

Q2

Comments

• Q2 )
    S is playing 3nt. E leads spJ (OOT) . Before TD called, W leads spA ( not seeing the lead of spJ oot).

Which laws apply and what are the restrictions ?

regards

Secaaddin Özdeniz

• I'll have a go at these.

Q1) This is fairly simple, the h2 is a lead out of turn and is covered by Law 56 - Defender's lead out of turn. Possible cross references to Laws 50, 53 and 16 depending on the options declarer chooses.

Declarer may accept the lead (Law 53), otherwise the 2H becomes a major penalty card and the lead goes to East, Law 50D on penalty cards then applies, so declarer may ask for a heart lead, ask for a lead other than a heart (in both these cases the 2 is picked up but Law 16 on UI may still apply, in the latter case a heart may not be led so long as East holds the lead), or allow East to lead any card in which case the 2 remains as a penalty card which must be played at the first opportunity.

Q2) I had to look this one up, it's always tricky when you have more than one infraction. Assuming the spade Ace is subsequent to East's lead, we have a faced lead out of turn (Law 54), followed by a premature lead to the current trick at RHOs turn, which is Law 57D. So If the A!S can be legally played at West's proper turn it must be played, otherwise it becomes a major penalty card.

So I'd go back to the lead out of turn and apply Law 54. Then;
    if declarer accepts the lead, West must follow with the A at their turn.
    If declarer denies the lead, it is now West's turn and, I would say, declarer may choose from the usual options for an opening lead out of turn, and West must play the A!S unless declarer chooses to forbid the lead of a spade - in this case the A!S could not legally be played to the trick so would remain as a penalty card.

I would note that the order of the plays matters here, if West led the A!S first then law 57 would apply to the J!S from East, if the plays were simultaneous Law 58 on Simultaneous plays may be applied.