Home EBU TDs

Swiss Teams

Once upon a time, I think I saw EBU guidance to suggest the maximum number of rounds in a Swiss (teams) event should not exceed 1/3 the number of entries. But I can't find that now! Is that still the guidance?
Can anybody suggest the movements for 13-17 teams?

I currently have 13 entries for a forthcoming county event, which would suggest 4 rounds.
But with a random starting draw and only 4 rounds I can forsee complaints along the lines of,
'But the winners never had to play team X' (X being the strongest on paper.)
Playing 5 rounds would alleviate this, and I guess we need to play at least 36 boards in total for mp reasons, so 5*8.
But will that likely mean too many 'mis-matches?'

Comments

• I think a 1/3 is not bad. There was also a document on minimum number of rounds: log_2(N) + 1 - play at least one more round than a knockout with the same teams.

With 11, 12, 13 I like to play 5 rounds and then a Danish last round 1v2 3v4 etc., with the proviso that 1st/2nd is decided on total VPs from the two teams lying 1st/2nd after 5 and similarly for the final 3rd/4th place.

With more teams you can play 6 rounds, but make sure the mid-event break allows you to play mainly long triangles when there are 15,17,19 teams.