Home Scoring and other IT questions

Matches with teams of 8

What are the movements for 2 teams with 8 players each

Comments

• A simple one, if you would like all pairs to play every pair of the other team, is for one team to be stationary at
    1NS
    2EW
    3NS
    4EW

The other team's four pairs line up against them and after each quarter (eg 6 boards out of 24) the moving team move up a table, changing polarity each time.

Everyone plays the same boardset at the same time, so for this it is best to have two sets of boards to share among the four tables.

Alternatively, for a longer match you could manage with one set of boards since an 8-board or 12-board set could be shared among the four tables.

• I have played Gordon's movement in one county (in an inter-county league) and a slightly different movement elsewhere (in an inter-club league).

As above, one team sits in the same seat throughout. At the first change, the other team swap NS/EW at tables 1/2 and 3/4. At the "half" (tea break), the moving pairs swap between tables 1/2 and 3/4, and then swap NS/EW within 1/2 and 3/4 for the last change.

(Moving pairs which started at odd tables move up, those starting at even tables move down, all moving pairs changing polarity each move.)

This movement can sensibly be scored as "Garden Cities" (imp-then-add) with tables 1/2 and 3/4 as the separate sections.

• The Midlands Counties Leagues run with teams-of-8 for 32-board matches and in each match the four pairs play against the other four pairs. We now have mechanisms for controlling this and scoring using EBUScore.

• I would recommend Mike Rothwell's Bridge Scorer program. It is specifically written for 2 teams of 8 matches.
    It works with bridgemates and is very, very easy to use. You can download it from his website.

• I can recommend Mike's program specifically for handling 2 teams of 8, 12, 16 etc l.....but not any more than 2 teams

• I checked out this program and its movement is somewhat different to what we use in the Midlands County League; because of this and the need to run multiple sections, I do not deem this program useful for the MCL.