Home Scoring and other IT questions

EBUScore Teams

Our club encountered a couple of problems using this program with Bridgemates this week.

One session was a 6 table Thurner movement. The "Enter at home table" option was checked, but the wrong pair names appeared in the Bridgemates (as if the teams should have been entered after the first move) until about half way through the evening, when the issue "magically" resolved itself.

The other session was a 7 table American Whist movement, also with the "Enter at home table" option checked. This worked like a dream up to the point when all the tables had closed. When I tried to generate the reports all the player data (names, EBU number) had disappeared. I had to reconstitute the teams by hand, which fortunately I was able to do. When I uploaded to the EBU website I got the message that data would be incomplete because the seating arrangements were not present (or something very like that).

On both occasions there was a problem printing the reports, as EBUScore Teams defaulted to a wrong (US) printer setting (Letter paper, portrait format) and refused to print multiple copies in the correct format. The printer had to be reset for each sheet printed. This does not occur using EBUScore Pairs or any other program.

Can anyone help?

Meic

Comments

• edited November 2018

The second case is almost certainly that you had not assigned seating lineups, which you have to do.

The printing problem sounds like something to do with your printer settings, since I don't think you can set paper size within the program.

• Thanks Gordon. You are probably right about the seating line-ups. I had naively assumed these would come automatically from the Bridgmates.
    I had to reset the paper size and orientation in the print preferences dialogue in EBUScore Teams. Every other program we use (inculding EBUScore Pairs) works perfectly without needing this.

• We were running a teams event last week using EBUScore. Everything seemed to be going OK except that there were no VP scales set in the text file. I had to enter these manually (outside EBUScore) at the end! I can find the VP scales on the EBU website, but I don't know what to enter or what format to use in the VPscale.txt file. I would like to enter the discrete scales for 3 to 6 boards and then select the one I want - Is this possible. Are there separate VPscale files for each scale?

I cannot find a detailed manual for Teams similar to the Pairs manual. Does one exist?

There is talk in the forum about "Seating Lineup". If the player names are entered on the Bridgemates, why does seating lineup need to be completed? Seating lineup appears to be completed automatically when players enter their names/numbers on Bridgemates.

• edited November 2018

@Stowman said:
    We were running a teams event last week using EBUScore. Everything seemed to be going OK except that there were no VP scales set in the text file. I had to enter these manually (outside EBUScore) at the end! I can find the VP scales on the EBU website, but I don't know what to enter or what format to use in the VPscale.txt file. I would like to enter the discrete scales for 3 to 6 boards and then select the one I want - Is this possible. Are there separate VPscale files for each scale?

I cannot find a detailed manual for Teams similar to the Pairs manual. Does one exist?

There is talk in the forum about "Seating Lineup". If the player names are entered on the Bridgemates, why does seating lineup need to be completed? Seating lineup appears to be completed automatically when players enter their names/numbers on Bridgemates.

Seating lineup needs to be set to allow correct allocation of scores for cross-IMPs and NGS processing, but if the players all stay in the same place throughout, this can just be done by clicking Initialise all Seating Lineups.

I don't understand what you mean about the VPscale: these are just set by choosing from among the options provided in the Scoring tab of the Event Details page. I've done a search and can't find a VPscale.txt file on my computer.

There isn't currently a detailed Teams manual in the same way as the Pairs one.

• Pair Names in Teams will only be displayed correctly if the movement is regular eg every pair Down 2 etc
    This is because the BCS implementation is to set up according a fixed value EWMoveBeforePlay which is set to a number. In a Thurner movement, the pairs move different ways hence it wont work. The Bridgemate Implementation Team in Holland are aware of this issue. For a similar reason, Names dont work in Individual Movements so its best to switch them off.

• @JeffreyS said:
    Pair Names in Teams will only be displayed correctly if the movement is regular eg every pair Down 2 etc
    This is because the BCS implementation is to set up according a fixed value EWMoveBeforePlay which is set to a number. In a Thurner movement, the pairs move different ways hence it wont work. The Bridgemate Implementation Team in Holland are aware of this issue. For a similar reason, Names dont work in Individual Movements so its best to switch them off.

They also don't work when teams are in more than one section, such as with mirrored movements including all team-of-eight events.

• We have used them without problem in our Northern Bridge League Teams of 8 for several years. If the EW pairs switch sections at half time, then either you can update teh seating lineup and use Write Names, or you can set the BCS option for pairs to enter their names every round.The trick is that you need to Initialise Seating Lineup AFTER in the MUltiSection event (rather than in each section). I cant see why they wouldnt work in a mirrored event as long as you get the players to enter names at the tables they start play. The Thurner movement issue is also because the names were entered at the Home Table. It is strongly recommended names are entered only after the pairs have moved for the first round.

• @JeffreyS said:
    We have used them without problem in our Northern Bridge League Teams of 8 for several years. If the EW pairs switch sections at half time, then either you can update teh seating lineup and use Write Names, or you can set the BCS option for pairs to enter their names every round.The trick is that you need to Initialise Seating Lineup AFTER in the MUltiSection event (rather than in each section). I cant see why they wouldnt work in a mirrored event as long as you get the players to enter names at the tables they start play. The Thurner movement issue is also because the names were entered at the Home Table. It is strongly recommended names are entered only after the pairs have moved for the first round.

Maybe this has changed: it certainly used to be that there was a Bridgemate limitation that it couldn't read names from one section into another. It could be that I've just carried on not using names when it would have worked.

• The Names handling has been improved recently...with the latest BCS (Oct2018 issue), it probably wont work in the current EBUScore issue but can be made to work fine even in the rarely used UK Swiss Teams as long as the names are entered at the table where they play. (In the US, they like to set names at home tables, but I have told them this isnt practicable with the EBUScore implementation). The Enter Names at each round has been in EBUScore for a while, but probably isnt that much used.