Home Scoring and other IT questions

Fouled board

Yesterday we had a fouled board; it had been rotated half way through the movement. We were scoring using Bridgemates and EBUscore. I adjusted the scores on EBUscore using the 'F' function and all pairs now seem to have the correct matchpoint scores.

However when I tried to upload the results to Pianola I got an error message. The file created by EBUscore has the fouled board scores recorded as e.g 'A0793' instead of e.g. '-400F'.

I have emailed Pianola for their advice but wondered if anyone here has a solution.

Comments

• There is currently nothing in the Usebio XML DTD to indicate a fouled board, If you just entered the scores, it would be misinterprested by decoding software and for NGS purposes as though it was a nonfouled board. Consequently, Ian Mitchell and myself decided we would turn fouled board scores into Average scores. So on your board its Average 7% - 93%. You should be able to see that perecnt split looks right on the board. It may be that Pianola only handles 'A5050' for 50-50 or 'A6040' for 60-40 or similar. You need to refer to the Pianola team (James Ward).

• Has there been a change in EBUScore?

In December we had weighted scores appearing as (say) A4456 in the UMS file being rejected by Pianola.

Is there a workaround? Replace the text by "0" or "A5050" or somehing?

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    Has there been a change in EBUScore?

In December we had weighted scores appearing as (say) A4456 in the UMS file being rejected by Pianola.

Is there a workaround? Replace the text by "0" or "A5050" or somehing?

There are two problems.
    (a) the correct results need to be submitted to the EBU for award of MPs and NGS adjustments.
    (b) the results need to be uploaded to our web site so players can see how they did.

In the absence of any reply so far from Pianola my workaround has been:
    (a) I have uploaded our correct results file directly to the EBU site.
    (b) I then amended the results to get something Pianola will accept. I uploaded this incorrect file via Pianola to our website and added a note to explain what I have done. This allows players to see their correct results on all boards except the fouled one. I then went back to the EBU site and deleted this second result file which Pianola had automatically submitted.

Far from ideal...

• edited January 2019

The offending <SCORE> element is used for display purposes (e.g. on Pianola) and for re-scoring in (EBU) Simultaneous Pairs; it is not used for anything in the upload to EBU (e.g. not for NGS). So it is possible to edit the UMS file to remove the Axxyy text (and optionally replace by "A5050"), then upload this to Pianola and have the file uploaded to the EBU from Pianola, without the edited UMS causing any problem.

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    The offending <SCORE> element is used for display purposes (e.g. on Pianola) and for re-scoring in (EBU) Simultaneous Pairs; it is not used for anything in the upload to EBU (e.g. not for NGS). So it is possible to edit the UMS file to remove the Axxyy text (and optionally replace by "A5050"), then upload this to Pianola and have the file uploaded to the EBU from Pianola, without the edited UMS causing any problem.

Thanks for this Robin. That is a much better solution.
    There is one other thing though; if you replace the SCORE element with "A5050" then you also need to remove the NS_MATCH_POINTS and EW_MATCH_POINTS elements or you get further errors.