Home EBU TDs

Restrictions on overcalls

A club TD asked me if there are any restrictions on permissible agreements for natural suit overcalls of natural suit opening bids. A pair in his club had been overcalling with very weak hands ( < 4 hcp and weak suits). I said I wasn't aware of any restrictions, but habits and tendencies would have to be properly disclosed. I checked the Blue Book:

At level 2 there is no mention of restrictions on such overcalls in 6F2, and the last sentence of 6F3 says that "overcalls and responses to second-seat overcalls must otherwise be natural".

Moving on to level 4 I find (7E2): "Any bid which shows at least four cards in a specified suit is permitted. The quality of the suit and the strength of the hand must conform to the standards generally played for a natural call at the level that would result from bidding the suit at the minimum level now possible".

What does "standards generally played for a natural call at the level ....(etc.)" mean? Does this mean that a transfer overcall of 2 !c showing diamonds has to have the same strength as "generally played" for a 2 !d overcall? If playing natural overcalls, a natural 2 !d overcall has to have the same strength as "generally played" for a 2 !d overcall? Does this mean an overcall of 2 !d on !d Kxxxx and no other high cards is not allowed, because the hand is below the "general strength" for an overcall?

Does this mean there are more restrictions at level 4 than at level 2?

Comments

• Hi James,

I agree that it's not as clear as it might be, but I think that

6 B 2 Any natural call is permitted, subject to the restrictions on the strength of opening bids in 6C1

carries forward to Level 4, and 7E2 is referring to other, non-natural calls.

• If I understand you correctly then my original answer was correct, and there is no restriction on agreeing to overcall 1 !s with 2 !d on e.g. !s xxx !h x !d Jxxxx !c xxxx, so long as this tendency is properly disclosed.

• @VixTD said:
    If I understand you correctly then my original answer was correct, and there is no restriction on agreeing to overcall 1 !s with 2 !d on e.g. !s xxx !h x !d Jxxxx !c xxxx, so long as this tendency is properly disclosed.

Yes, I think that's right.