Home EBU TDs

I didn't notice the double!

Directing a Masters Pairs event right now

There is a dispute over whether or not the contract was doubled. Defenders are adamant it was. Declarer and his partner say they didn't notice the double.

I asked the to replay the auction and the implication was that there was a double (because otherwise there wold have been a four passes in succession. Not proof, but a small indication.

I am tempted to say that a player is more likely to miss a double than another player think they have made a double but haven't, especially if their partner agrees. Hence on the balance of probabilities the double was made.

On top of this, doubler's previous bid was also a double hence easier to miss.

Comments?

Comments

• Was the double alerted by his partner? You don't say what stage the bidding reached - was it at the 1 or 2 level or was it game?
    Was the contract put in the Bridgemate while the bidding cards were still on the table? This eleiminates any confusion as to the final contract.
    Or were you called at the end of play?
    How do declarer and partner explain the 4 passes?
    Sorry to give you questions instead of answers but your probabilitiy sounds right to me

• @stayman said:
    Was the double alerted by his partner? You don't say what stage the bidding reached - was it at the 1 or 2 level or was it game?

No - it was above 3NT (4S)

Or were you called at the end of play?

Called at the end of play.

How do declarer and partner explain the 4 passes?

They didn't , but bear in mind this was a reconstruction not the actual auction.

• Declarer and his partner say they didn't notice the double.

That is not denying there was a double.

I asked the to replay the auction and the implication was that there was a double (because otherwise there wold have been a four passes in succession. Not proof, but a small indication.

Plenty for me.

• @JeremyChild said:
    Directing a Masters Pairs event right now

There is a dispute over whether or not the contract was doubled. Defenders are adamant it was. Declarer and his partner say they didn't notice the double.

I am tempted to say that a player is more likely to miss a double than another player think they have made a double but haven't, especially if their partner agrees. Hence on the balance of probabilities the double was made.

On top of this, doubler's previous bid was also a double hence easier to miss.

Comments?

I think you have followed the correct process and I think your conclusion is correct on balance of probabilities, which is the basis on which we are required to rule.