Home EBU TDs

comparable bids, again

I was asked to give a hypothetical ruling and the more I think the less I know!
Dealer opens 2 clubs (strong)
Next player overcalls 2 spades
Partner of dealer fails to notice this and bids 2 diamonds (standard tell me more response)
Insufficient bid not accepted
How does director rule now?

Comments

• Sorry wobbly fingers should have been ebu tds

• edited March 2019
    This is what i think... if the 2D bid a relay meaning nothing, then any bid now is comparable as it will be a subset of the meaning of the bid (something being more specific than anything).
    If 2D is a more traditional "nothing to say yet" bid (less than 8 points say) then pass is comparable and serves the same purpose a 2D. Shows less than 8 points/no biddable suit and allows the bidding to get back to the 2C opener.
  • @Martin said:
    This is what i think... if the 2D bid a relay meaning nothing, then any bid now is comparable as it will be a subset of the meaning of the bid (something being more specific than anything).
    If 2D is a more traditional "nothing to say yet" bid (less than 8 points say) then pass is comparable and serves the same purpose a 2D. Shows less than 8 points/no biddable suit and allows the bidding to get back to the 2C opener.

I agree. In addition, if they have agreed double to show a bad hand, as some do, or to be takeout, then I think that would also be comparable.

• TagTag
    edited March 2019

@Martin said:

If players do indeed play that a 2D, "nothing to say yet", is only done on weak hands then I can agree that pass is comparable. Most that I encounter play that "nothing to say yet" means exactly that; that they are waiting to see partner's rebid before showing their own hand or often then taking captaincy of the hand, now knowing more of partner's hand. In these cases, responder's hand is unlimited and I don't see Pass as comparable with a 2D waiting bid. Of course, they could have the agreement that Pass over interference is exactly the same as a 2D waiting bid,

• Well, I play the 2D as a strict relay, even with a 7 card suit and 12 points! So, pass here would be strictly comparable.

However, I have an agreement with one partner that a pass after an overcall shows 7 or fewer points, with a double showing 'values' and a bid shows a good 5 card suit plus 8 or more points. In this instance, both pass and a bid (say 3C) is comparable with the initial 2D bid.

2D means 'I have 13 cards here partner, please bid again and I can then begin to describe my hand further'
    So a pass shows 13 card with less than 8 points
    A double shows 13 cards, 8+ points but no good 5 card suit
    A suit bid shows 13 cards, 8+ points and a good 5 card suit
    All of these bids, pass, double and a suit bid, offer a more exacting description of my hand than the original 2D bid, and so by definition are comparable.

• Thank you so much much less complicated than I was searching for!

• If a call is 100% forced by system, then if it has to be withdrawn, no information is available as a result of the fact that it was made (because it would have been made no matter what). As a result, it's not surprising that all possible replacement calls are comparable with it (specifically, because they show a subset of its meanings).

• @ais523 said:
    If a call is 100% forced by system, then if it has to be withdrawn, no information is available as a result of the fact that it was made (because it would have been made no matter what). As a result, it's not surprising that all possible replacement calls are comparable with it (specifically, because they show a subset of its meanings).

Indeed so.