Home EBU TDs

Should I say I revoked?

Am I obliged to say I revoked on an earlier trick, if I only notice it on a subsequent trick?

Specifically, I was declarer in a no-trump contract. I was running my long heart suit from dummy, and carelessly discarded a diamond rather than a heart. When I played the next heart from dummy I realized I still had a heart in my hand.

I played the heart, but did not draw attention to the revoke. No one else said anything. Should I have said something at this point?

When the hand was over one of the defenders said she thought I had revoked and I agreed. Her partner was acting as a 'stand-in' TD since the original TD had not turned up. He said it should probably be a two trick penalty, but agreed to waive the penalty since I suggested the revoke didn't affect the final result.

I felt quite guilty afterwards for not drawing attention to the revoke as soon as became aware of it. I also felt some guilt that I may have influenced the TD to not apply a penalty.

Comments

• The legal position is Law 72B2

In general there is no obligation to draw attention to an infraction of law committed by one’s own side (...)

So you do not have to draw attention to your own revoke but you may not attempt to conceal the revoke: Law 72B3

A player may not attempt to conceal an infraction, as by committing a second revoke, concealing a card involved in a revoke or mixing the cards prematurely.

This may not stop you feeling guilty.

It should have only been a one-trick penalty because the revoking hand did not win the trick.