Home EBU TDs

Wrong board played

Last night, Pairs 8 and 3 played Board 15 (which had been left on the table from the previous round), and not Board 16. This wasn't detected until after the hand had been played and North (of Pair 8) tried to enter the result into the Bridgemate, hence Law 15B1 doesn't apply. Neither pair had encountered Board 15 before.

According to Law15B2, the result as played for Board 15 stands (there is no option in the Law for Director's discretion). The correct board 16 was not played later. Personally, I would not want the result to stand - among other things it presents difficulties in how to actually enter a non-scheduled result into EBUScore. But, as written, the Law gives me no option.

Law 12C2 appears to direct me to awarding artificial scores when Board 15 pops up again later (Pair 8 playing Pair 9, and Pair 3 playing Pair 5). The Board obviously cannot be played again in either case. I read the Law as saying that that Pairs 8/9, receive an adjusted score of 40/60? Are Pair 3 (E/W when playing Board 15 erroneously) equally complicit, ie they should also have an adjusted score when they later encounter Board 15 - against Pair 5? In other words was the error solely that of Pair 8 (North not having checked that they had the right boards) - or should Pair 3 also have checked?

There is then the technical question of how I can actually do all this in EBUScore, as the implication is that Board 15 will need an additional score line to allow for Pairs 8/3 playing it as well. Perhaps I should address this question on the technical forum.

IanC

Comments

• TagTag
    edited June 2019

In EBUScore, simply enter the score obtained by pairs 8 and 3, who played the board. Now match up pairs 9 and 5 and give them 60/60 on the board.

Without the foul-up, you would have two entries 8/9 and 3/5. Simply type over the pair numbers, such that you now have 8/3 and 9/5 (or the other way around) and enter the scores as above.

I suppose they ran out of time for board 16. Up to you but I'd either give them 40/40 or 50/50.

• It's all so easy and obvious, when you know how.
    Brilliant - many thanks Tag.