Home EBU TDs

"you are accusing me of cheating"

edited July 2019 in EBU TDs

@Sheba977 said:
Now for another incident - different partner. I was declarer when dummy interrupted and claimed one of the opposition was giving signals. Is dummy allowed to speak in this instance or wait until I finish the game? It ended up rather messy with one of the opponent saying "you're accusing me of cheating" which was followed by a call to the TD.

New at directing, she did not know what to do or say but suggested she called another director - I was the only qualified TD available and saw nothing. I suggested we get on with the game and she could check the results later.

I knew the two chaps and felt they were not the type to deliberately cheat. What would you have done?

Dummy is not allowed to draw attention to an irregularity during the play.

Dummy can call the TD when the play is over. If any player thinks that opponents are using illegal signals he is best to talk the TD not in the presence of the other players. If a player calls the TD and says to the table that the opponents are using illegal signals the player is accusing them of cheating - the opponents will get upset and the player will get disciplined.

When called the TD should start with "I am sure you are not accusing the opponents of cheating - are you" and hope to get a retraction. At the end of the hand, get a record of the play. Then ask dummy privately what he thinks is going on. If there is evidence of illegality, write everything down and report it to the club committee.