Home EBU TDs

Alert for Double not showing shortage

Do you need to alert a first round take out double that does not show a shortage ie opening bid with any shape and holding
Example North opens 1H and East doubles which could contain a long heart suit or any other combination as long as it has opening points

Comments

• Blue Book 4B2

Doubles are also alertable if they convey a potentially unexpected meaning in addition to take-out or penalties

Even if these doubles are intended for take-out, the fact that they are based solely on point count is unexpected, so the doubles are alertable.

• @Robin_BarkerTD
    Whilst I would agree with you here, it seems contrary to the answer given to this specific example in the county directors Q&A document linked to in another thread here...

https://www.ebu.co.uk/documents/laws-and-ethics/td-training/test-paper-2017.pdf

Situation 23 i) c)

Double showing general values , answer is not alert - This is another name for take out. (BB 4B2 (a))

So, I'm confused :)

It also shows how the rules can be interpreted in perfectly reasonable ways to diametrically opposed answers.

• I think there is a big difference between
    1. opening values any shape, as an immediate double
    2. general values, after three players have acted

• edited July 2019

Well, I have now had chance to read the relevant rules specifically:

4 B 2 (a) - Double of a bid that shows the suit bid - Alert, unless the double is for take-out.

There is an additional note: Doubles are also alertable if they convey a potentially unexpected meaning in addition to takeout or penalties (see 3H2 and 3H3).

3 H 3 - Take-out doubles
    A take-out double suggests that the doubler wishes to compete and invites partner to describe
    his hand. ~~Take-out doubles are frequently based on shortage in the suit doubled and
    preparedness to play in the other unbid suits, failing which significant extra values may be
    expected. ~~ Partner is expected to bid, though a pass may be made on a hand very suitable for
    defence in the context of the level of bid doubled and what he can be expected to hold for his
    actions (if any) to date.

A double that shows a specific feature of the doubler’s hand (such as a ’support’ double
    promising three cards in partner’s major) has a potentially unexpected meaning and should be
    alerted.

The section struckthrough above, is struckthough in the 2019 blue book.

So it seems that the good book agrees with the ruling in the county director test - a double showing general values (as long as partner is expected to bid (or pass to convert to a penalty double with a suitable hand)) is not alertable.

• You may like to refer to comments "Alertable double?" Nov.2018 on page 7.
    Seems it should be on the front page of Convention Card.