Crowded calendar, limited events and seniors competitions
The EBU competitions calendar is crowded, but unless any events stop contributing to the overall budget, there seems no basis for discontinuing them. They might however be changed in format to try to make them more popular. Suggestions that have been received aside from those made at the meeting include:
- A mixed pairs/teams congress
- An expansion of the Jack High concept to have higher or lower limits, such as King High or Seven High
When it comes to Seniors congresses, we have three that are close to each other in the summer and a further one in the autumn.
Summer Seniors at the start of July in Eastbourne.
Seniors Congress in the Summer Meeting at the start of August in Eastbourne.
Seniors events at the Scarborough Congress at the end of July.
Summer Seniors at the start of November in Daventry.
Clearly we should reschedule the summer ones in some way. We could:
- Amalgamate the two Eastbourne Seniors congresses so that we just have the one that is part of the Summer Meeting. This would have obvious cost benefits as well as revitalising the mid-week schedule. I intend to consult the players from those events to see whether they think this is a good idea.
- Alternatively we could reschedule the standalone Eastbourne Seniors to a different time of year.
- We could try to move the Scarborough Seniors to a different time of year, though it was introduced fairly recently in response to specific requests for seniors events in the North.