Home EBU Tournaments

Scoring methods

I'd like to see greater variety in the events offered by the EBU - more events with a USP.

The Great Northern Swiss Pairs used to be IMPed. I assume this wasn't popular or it wouldn't have been changed back to matchpoints?!

Board-a-Match hasn't drawn large entries here, but it's not hugely popular elsewhere either - the Swiss Teams that runs alongside the Reisinger gets a much larger entry. Part of the problem with BaM for me is that you often slave away for your overtrick only to find it makes no difference at all to your score.

Hybrid scoring - 2 VPS for winning a board, plus a VP scale for the IMPs result of the match - is much more fun IMO, and is popular in France. Nearly every hand is interesting and nearly every trick matters.

A left-field idea I had was IMPs but with overtricks not counting. This would encourage early claims and faster play, and be particularly suitable for consolation events. However, I think it might be against the laws of bridge!

Comments

• @mickyb said:

A left-field idea I had was IMPs but with overtricks not counting. This would encourage early claims and faster play, and be particularly suitable for consolation events. However, I think it might be against the laws of bridge.

It might not be against the laws. It's just a scoring variation, just as the Hubert-Phillips Bowl which has aggregate scoring and Honours counting is a compeition with a scoring variation.

• This is only a very minor variation, but just to to be different there could be a swiss teams event scored with the Continuious VP scale rather than the discrete one.