Home EBU Tournaments

Prizes

Maybe EBU prizes should be less flexible? e.g. have to be used in the three months following the event, or have to be used at one of a list of events. Might encourage people to play events that they otherwise wouldn't, and would allow bigger prizes/more prizes due to the likelihood of some prizes not being cashed.

"More prizes" helps in terms of formats, too - it makes it easier to be able to afford a reasonable prize for "2nd in group C" or "best ascenders'" or "best pair ranked below an ace on NGS".

Comments

• What is the current policy on prizes? Which events give prizes and which dont? Not easy to see on the website ( if it's there at all).
    I know Yorkshire give prizes for the Great Northern but what about the Seniors Congress which stopped giving prizes a few years ago. I hope that decision has been rescinded. Is it only old people that dont deserve prizes?

• @kvnelson said:

What is the current policy on prizes? Which events give prizes and which dont? Not easy to see on the website ( if it's there at all).
    I know Yorkshire give prizes for the Great Northern but what about the Seniors Congress which stopped giving prizes a few years ago. I hope that decision has been rescinded. Is it only old people that dont deserve prizes?

Prizes in seniors events were discontinued, after consultation with those who attend them, in exchange for lower entry fees. The exception is where an endowment provides the money for a prize. The other event that has no prizes is the Northern Mid-week Congress where, once again, those who attend indicated they would rather have lower entry fees than the chance of winning a prize.

• the entry for the next Seniors Congress is £101. How much saving is that per person?
    It's not as if the prizes were vast amounts...

• edited August 2019

@kvnelson said:
    the entry for the next Seniors Congress is £101. How much saving is that per person?
    It's not as if the prizes were vast amounts...

It's about 18% less than the Autumn Congress, which has a similar format at a very similar time of year. That is as it should be, since the intention is that where prizes are given, 17.5% of entry fees go in providing them.