My Eastbourne proposal
Given the complaints about lack of activity, I'll add this to the discussion. Some of the ideas will look familiar to those who have read my posts in other threads.
I think the way forward for Eastbourne is -
* No Seniors Congress running alongside.
* Midweek events lasting a day or two, not single-session stuff.
* Pairs events at the start of the week, Teams events at the end of the week. That way, it's very easy for a pair to decide to stay for the event after the Harold Poster, or for a team to decide to turn up for the event before the Four Stars.
Something like this:
First Weekend - Harold Poster
Sunday evening+Monday - Three-session IMP pairs with qualifier/semi-final/final (all-play-all). Monday evening consolation final could be IMPs with overtricks not counting, ~6 minutes per board.
Tuesday - Barometered pairs, perhaps.
Wednesday-Friday afternoon - A major teams event (hopefully).
* Day 1 = six groups, seeded, you play a round-robin within your group. Top two qualify from each group.
* Day 2 = Qualifiers play two knockout matches, playing down to three remaining teams. Meanwhile, the non-qualifiers play a swiss; this serves both as a consolation event, and, for the leader at the appropriate point, a way into the semi-finals of the main event. The day finishes with the semi-finals and the conclusion of the consolation swiss.
* Day 3 = Final of the teams (32 boards). Non-qualifiers, and new arrivals, play a BAM.
Second Weekend - Four Stars.
In theory I'd like to find room for a Patton-scored Swiss Teams in there somewhere, but I think it would be better to try this out elsewhere first.