Home EBU TDs

Illegal Call or Psyche ?

May I check my understanding please ?
A partnership genuinely play legal Level 4 methods. So, for example, their agreement on one level openings shown on their system card is "Rule of 19" which clearly conforms to the Blue Book "A one-level opening bid in a suit, whether forcing or not, must by agreement show 8+ HCP and, in first and second position, follow the Rule of 18."
They also rarely psyche and on the odd occasion they do psyche, have not been known to field the psyche.
If one of the partners opens, say, 1H on a 3 count with QJxxxx of H and out, is this just treated as a psyche, not an illegal agreement potentially requiring an adjusted score ?

Comments

• If it's not fielded, that's good evidence that they haven't agreed it - in which case it's not an illegal agreement.

Definite psyche (if intentional).

• I have a partner who 'not infrequently'' (as in a little more than once per year) opens light in 3rd seat, as in below the minimum req of 8 HCP. I am always careful not to field it, but despite that I reckon he is sailing close to the wind and it has become an undisclosed concealed agreement The frequency could be too often for it to be considered a psyche.
    Does the same apply to these players?
  • Well, psyching is quite specifically allowed in the laws, I do like to think that the occasional psych is covered by general bridge knowledge. The problem I guess is an awful lot of partnerships these days never psych at all. Similar to Graham, I used to play with a partner whose 1NT openings were notoriously prone to be psychic, and was quite careful how I explained them. I was never entirely certain it wasn't an undisclosed agreement though.

I think if the situation is genuinely as understood in the original post, then to just treat each bid as a psych is appropriate, there is a reason we classify them as green / amber / red.

• @GrahamC said:
    I have a partner who 'not infrequently'' (as in a little more than once per year) opens light in 3rd seat, as in below the minimum req of 8 HCP. I am always careful not to field it, but despite that I reckon he is sailing close to the wind and it has become an undisclosed concealed agreement The frequency could be too often for it to be considered a psyche.
    Does the same apply to these players?

There is nothing in the OP to suggest that "on the odd occasion they do psyche" has been in a similar situation.

• Many thanks for the advice