Home EBU TDs

Defective trick

This situation was discussed between myself and another TD on the way to the Tollemache.

Director is called to the table and discovers that dummy has played 4 cards and everyone else has played 6!

Now dummy can play to the last trick (if they haven't already), but what happens to the earlier trick (or tricks)?

No problem you may say - just look at law 67B2 (defective trick). Then if..

(a) the offender has a card of the suit led to the defective trick; he must choose such a card
to place among his played cards. He is deemed to have revoked on the defective trick and
is subject to the loss of one trick transferred in accordance with Law 64A2.

(part b is similar for the purposes of this discussion)

But hold on! This is dummy we are talking about.

Does "Law 64A2" mean just

"2. and the trick on which the revoke occurred was not won by the offending player then, if
the offending side won that or any subsequent trick, after play ends one trick is transferred
to the non‐offending side."

OR - Do we extend this to Law 64B (no automatic trick adjustment if dummy revokes) and 64C (Equity)?

Comments

• I'd extend it to trying to restore equity and hold to the idea that there is never an automatic adjustment for a revoke in dummy. The extra cards in dummy might have caused a mis-defence, which needs to be taken into consideration.

• @weejonnie said:

(a) the offender has a card of the suit led to the defective trick; he must ....

I was looking at this law the other day. Does this mean you have to go through the tricks already played and reach agreement on which one was defective?

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• @Peter said:

@weejonnie said:

(a) the offender has a card of the suit led to the defective trick; he must ....

I was looking at this law the other day. Does this mean you have to go through the tricks already played and reach agreement on which one was defective?

I think so - which means you are going to have to be careful. One good starting point would be to see which trick (if any) has the cards the opposite direction. if that doesn't help then I think you will have to get concensus on the play to each trick in order.

• I think there was something similar in an 'Ask Robin' answer.

In some cases where dummy has failed to play to trick(s), the TD will have to assign a result based on the play up to the first missing play.