Home EBU TDs

STOP cards

2»

Comments

• Quick tip: if you have the document on a computer (probably on tablets and smart phones too), you can search for key words/phrases to skip to the relevant section.

So, on a web page or PDF, hold down Ctrl and press 'F'. This is a short cut to a 'Find' function, and the function will have a next/previous or search up/down button and so you can jump to instances of that word/phrase in the document.

Really useful for this sort of thing

• Either the post was edited, or I mis-read the question as where are details about the stop card in the white book, but I see it now as in the laws... Only mention I can find in the laws are:

LAW 73: COMMUNICATION
    A. Appropriate Communication between Partners
    2. Calls and plays should be made without undue emphasis, mannerism or
    inflection, and without undue hesitation or haste. But Regulating
    Authorities may require mandatory pauses, as on the first round of the
    auction, or after a skip-bid warning, or on the first trick.
    [my emphasis]

• Can someone tell me please where to find anything about the Stop card in the Law book> @Martin said:

Either the post was edited, or I mis-read the question as where are details about the stop card in the white book, but I see it now as in the laws... Only mention I can find in the laws are:

LAW 73: COMMUNICATION
    A. Appropriate Communication between Partners
    2. Calls and plays should be made without undue emphasis, mannerism or
    inflection, and without undue hesitation or haste. But Regulating
    Authorities may require mandatory pauses, as on the first round of the
    auction, or after a skip-bid warning, or on the first trick.
    [my emphasis]

Thank you Martin. I did a "Find" search for "Stop" in the Law book before posting my query and was surprised to find not one occurrence!

• The Stop card, like Bidding Boxes, is not covered in the Laws but in Regulations issued by Regulating Authorities such as the EBU, so you will find everything on Bidding Boxes in the EBU Blue Book, Section 3Z, and the Stop Card in particular in Section 3ZB

http://www.ebu.co.uk/documents/laws-and-ethics/blue-book/blue-book-2017.pdf

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• @johnlw said:

That raises an interesting question: "should you wait 10 seconds if the STOP card has been used incorrectly" ie after a non-jump bid?

No.

• Think of the Stop card as a courtesy card; it's the actual bid that matters.