Home EBU TDs

Late Team arrive after Multiple Teams Started

I'm doing contingency planning for our County Teams of Four Championship
My instinct tells me that once I have started play it is too late to accommodate any further teams that turn up unexpectedly
(if they've phoned I could include them in the movement and give adjusted scores for boards they couldn't play)
Am I right to just say 'sorry you're too late', or is there some clever way I could accommodate them?
Thanks in advance, Peter

Peter Bushby Suffolk

Comments

• You could do it if you play head-to-head matches with a sitout for an odd number of teams, but of course that needs quite a few sets of boards.

Other than that, it would be a case of looking at the movements available for the number of teams you expect and looking at those for one more team. By choosing carefully you might be able to accommodate a late team with only a small amount of re-dealing.

In practice though this in not a common situation with teams: usually at least one player will be there, and if they are all coming together almost certainly one person will have a phone to let you know.

• Thanks Gordon

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• I do have a generic solution for a late team arriving during the first round of an American-Whist type of movement.
    It does mean that the late team will miss out not only on the first round, but also the last round (or, if it was a score-break movement, the last round before the break). It also involves a small amount of board sharing, or a second set of boards to be dealt.

• @Mitch said:
    I do have a generic solution for a late team arriving during the first round of an American-Whist type of movement.
    It does mean that the late team will miss out not only on the first round, but also the last round (or, if it was a score-break movement, the last round before the break). It also involves a small amount of board sharing, or a second set of boards to be dealt.

Would you like to tell us what it is?

• Basically, the new E/W pair are inserted as a rover pair. One way of doing this is to follow the path that the highest board set would have followed. Instead of playing that board set, though, they play whichever other board set their opponents were not otherwise due to play (Team number minus one). The displaced E/W pair play against the N/S of the late team, again playing the board set they were otherwise not due to play.
    I've got a more lengthy document which i will e-mail to you. It may be too late for Peter, but if you wish to forward it...