Home Scoring and other IT questions

Scrolling of results

It has been the practice over several years at my club to display on-going scores by clicking the Ranks button withon the Reports Tab of Bridgemate Scoring. The display has become intermittent over the last few weeks. We sometimes get an error message Error 70 (Permission denied) in procedure WriteJavaScript of module modjava.
We have tried reinstalling Java, reinstalling EBU Score Pairs, checking and unchecking the Use PC default browser for reports box under the Administration option on the main menu, but nothing has so far worked reliably. We store the program and files in a Dropbox account so that a couple of us can monitor & support the club from our homes. Everything worked fine until about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is it Java related? Windows related? EBU SCore Pairs related?
We'd be very grateful for any help.
Graham Hardman

Comments

• What is the location of your scroll file and how are you connected to it? Is it in the 'Dropbox?

• It is in our Dropbox. In folder Dropbox\EBU Score Pairs\Reports

• When I've seen things like this it's usually been to do with internet connections to a remote folder, often firewall permissions, but that wouldn't be the case here if it's an intermittent fault. I'm afraid we'll need to wait for someone with more technical knowledge than me to answer.

• Thanks Gordon for taking an interest.

• This is an old and well known issue - You are advised NOT to use a DropBox because of the contention with BM scores being planted there at the same time as the DropBox management runs! Roughly speaking, the technical issue revolves around using Access 97 and limited backoff contention to the database (which is essentially controlled by semaphoring). It may work if dependent on processor speed, but is inadvisable.

• Thanks Jeffrey. I'm just surprised that we have been lucky for 4 or 5 years and only recently have we come across this problem. Perhaps it's an update to Dropbox which has caused our manifestation? Do you know of another web based storage utility that we could use instead of Dropbox?

• We used to use Google Drive and now currently use Sync.com.

• @JeffreyS said:
    This is an old and well known issue - You are advised NOT to use a DropBox because of the contention with BM scores being planted there at the same time as the DropBox management runs!

@GrahamH said:
    It is in our Dropbox. In folder Dropbox\EBU Score Pairs\Reports

This suggests that you have installed EBUScore in its entirety directly into Dropbox. As Jeff observes, this has various drawbacks.
    What I used to do was to run EBUScore from the normal location, but amend the location of the Scrollfile itself. I had very few problems with just the Scrollfile updating.
    The facility to amend the location was introduced a couple of years ago. (the facility might have been removed & reintroduced since, & I'm not convinced now of its efficacy). There is a button on the "Reports/Names" tab on the Bridgemate Scoring screen.
    However, I tend now to use the "BW Live Updates" facility to display results on other monitors.

• Thanks Mitch, We use Drop Box so that a couple of us can manage club admin from home without the need to remove the club laptop from our venue. Unfortunately BW live updates won't be of use to us because we use Pianola and not Bridgewebs. I'm now sure that the problem is the conflict with Dropbox updating so the (inelegant) solution will be to disconnect from Dropbox at the start of play and reconnect at the end. I still don't understand why we had no issues for years until recently even with Dropbox still open during play.

• Have you tried just keeping the dat files on Dropbox and putting the program itself on each local computer?