Identical boards

At a regular club duplicate using boards dealt by the duplimate machine, it is discovered in round 2 that boards 9 and 10 are identical. Clearly an error has been made during dealing. How should the TD proceed?

Comments

  • This would depend on the movement. With two board rounds you count board 10 as not played
  • Redeal board 10, and play it in round 2. If there is time, the new board 10 can be replayed by the round 1 pairs, otherwise they get 60/60.

  • This used to happen to me when I dealt boards when the program crashed during dealing. For that reason it's well worth checking if you do ever have the program crash while dealing - look at the two boards to check they are different..

  • @BarkerBridgeTD said:
    Redeal board 10, and play it in round 2. If there is time, the new board 10 can be replayed by the round 1 pairs, otherwise they get 60/60.

    But this will mean that the pairs who played board 10 in round 1 can not play board 9 when they meet it.

    It may be better to redeal board 9 as well.

  • It was 3 board rounds and the cards for board 10 were in board 11 etc etc.
    So, when a playing director I now check my cards on the final board, which is rarely played, are the same as on the printout provided.
  • @BarkerBridgeTD said:

    But this will mean that the pairs who played board 10 in round 1 can not play board 9 when they meet it.

    It may be better to redeal board 9 as well.

    I woudn't redeal board nine if it has already been played (at table 3) in its correct state. I suppose that you could redeal it & ask table 3 to replay the (redealt) board at the end, but that would appear to me to be a somewhat bizarre approach.

  • @Alan16248 said:
    This would depend on the movement. With two board rounds you count board 10 as not played

    But surely in two- board rounds boards 9 and 10 would have been on the same table in round 1 and the players would have noticed that the second board they were playing was identical to the first! How would the problem get to round 2?

  • 3 board rounds, so 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 then 10-12. So 9 & 10 being the same would not be found out until the pair that played 9 picks up board 10

  • @Martin said:
    3 board rounds, so 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 then 10-12. So 9 & 10 being the same would not be found out until the pair that played 9 picks up board 10

    Correct. I was only commenting on the two-board rounds mentioned by Alan.

Sign In or Register to comment.