Home Scoring and other IT questions

Swiss Teams on BBO

Gordon has told us how we can do this 'the old fashioned way' and that's what we plan to do for our Virtual Congress if we have to....
I was just wondering if anyone had looked into the following 'left field' possibilities:
a) Changing EBUScoreSwissTeams to retrieve match results from BBO (knowing Captains' BBO usernames) in a similar way to the way it can from Bridgemates?
b) Reading match results from BCS from BBO into it's database to simulate the action of Bridgemates face-to-face?
c) Maybe updating BMTest to read Match results from BBO? Or writing a similar module that read BBO Teams results and then sent them to EBUScore (with the module replacing BCS in the same wasy BMTest does when running that)?

I'm sure they are all too much work for too little reward but the thoughts may spark someone to have one that will work :)

Peter Bushby Suffolk

Comments

• It's worth noting that until recently BBO had problems and delays with uploading results to its hand record so there's an inherent risk in trying something like that (they may well have resolved that now though after deleting their entire hand history!). Setting up a form on the EBU website for captains to submit results in a similar way to EBULeague might be the fastest option.

Thinking about virtual congresses though, matches with more boards work much better as you don't have to start new matches all the time, so the closer you get to the Spring Fours the better (a lot of that is done manually in the f2f bridge anyway for working out the draw). I suppose it depends on how much demand you get for that sort of event.

Obviously this isn't very helpful for answering the bulk of your question but thought it was worth mentioning.

• Definitely worth mentioning... thanks... especially the delay in hand records.
    Although the Imps score for each match is all we need to do assignmentd

Peter Bushby Suffolk

• I think BBO might have sorted the hands issues but even a five to ten minute delay would be frustrating for people waiting at computers to get a notification or similar; Earlier this week I had a five hour delay with waiting for results to put on our club website, but that was before BBO updated their hand record facility.

As you say, only the IMP score is needed so players could simply upload their results to a central server (or message the TD in charge as matches will finish at slightly different times) and then the movement can be sorted as soon as each round is finished. Complete board data could then be sorted out later (although X-IMPs won't be possible unless you send out specific boards for every team match to play). EBUScore Swiss Teams has the option of just entering IMP/VP scores as opposed to board results so that is already an existing capability.

• I have been running an online Swiss Teams for the past six weeks where people arrange their own matches and I record the results as VPs using EBUScoreSwissTeams and publish them on the www.gcba.org.uk bridgewebs website. Once all the matches for a week are completed, EBUScore does the new assignments and I publish them. The main loss against nornal is that each match is different boards.

Doing the same for Swiss Pairs is being trialled but is not quite the same.

• edited May 2020

Hi Patrick - slight tangent but are you processing these matches for masterpoints? If so, do you do it as one big lump at the end of the cycle or do you do some kind of UMS upload each week?

PS Sorry Peter for hijacking your thread!

• I am still processing but the plan is to bundle two matches in one session/ submission as that corresponds to the usual number of boards per UM charge. I do these without Master Points and submit a separate NULL session (NULL from a UM perspective) with all the masterpoints claims.