Home Scoring and other IT questions

Online Swiss Pairs with EBUScoreSwissPairs

For a few months now I have been running (in Gloucestershire) a Swiss Pairs event based in 12-board matches once a week, arranged at the convenience of the four players. Here's what I've had to do to make it work ...

1. Set it up as a Swiss Pairs with sessions each 2*12-board matches (that’s a bit arbitrary and it doesn’t have to be that, but each session is 24 boards and that seems fair for UMS purposes).
  2. As results come in I enter the VPs as adjustments to the match results and can publish running results on the Bridgewebs website easily from that. It's on www.gcba.org.uk
  3. When all the results are in it will not do the next assignment until I have entered scores. So I put in a pass out on all boards.
  4. Now the adjustments give the wrong scores, so I have to go through and convert adjustments of +17, +3 to be +7 and -7. It all looks OK when I do that.
  5. Then the next assignment and we are off again.
  6. One catch : when I came to enter the 11th adjustment for round two of the 11-table event, it complained “Exceeded maximum Match adjusts per Section - 20”. It is actually a limit on the number of adjusts per session. My way round it was
  7. To put one match result in as Properties adjustments and run with 10-10 on the sheet (and explain to the players) - and hope we get enough 10-10 draws in the future.
    8 An odd number of pairs in this sort of event is an issue for EBUSwissPairsScorer. I need to run a "long triple" and three pairs have two assignments given at once, so for that case
    a. I create an extra “present” pair and ensure they play someone in the “triangle” on two consecutive rounds
    b. I do this by giving the relevant pairs an adjustment of -40 in the Properties, doing the assignments, and then removing that adjustment.
    c. For one match in the triple, the VP scores for each pair appear in different rounds (ie when they "play" the phantom)

And it all seems to work, and I can generate UMS submissions and have Master point calculated etc as if it was played face to face.