Home EBU TDs

defense to 1nt (15-17 / 12-14 ) opening

Hello,

I need your help to clarify whether the alert made by S is valid while N's overcalling 1nt opening.

W N E S

1nt =15-17 dbl

dbl is alerted by S as : single suited D or two -suited hands ( could be 5h-4Sp / 4M-5+m / 5-5 strong M /5H-5m )

Simply saying two- suited hands is sufficient enough or is S obliged to explain every single distribution that N might hold ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Regards.

Secaaddin Özdeniz

Comments

• If the opponents want to know, you are of course obliged to tell them
    If you are playing online on BBO, I would start by typing into the alert box "D or various 2-suiters"
    If they ask for more detail, then send it by private message (because there isn't room in the alert box)

• I haven't come across this one before but yes, the double is alertable because it is not a penalty double. If I understand your explanation correctly, I would describe the double as "Either diamonds or else a two suited hand in which at least one suit is a major and the higher ranking suit may have only four cards".

I am curious as to what 2-level bids would show. Does this have a name I could look up?

Barrie Partridge - CTD for Bridge Club Live

• I expect
    2C majors, not 4-5 (and not super strong)
    2D one major
    2M that major (5+) together with a minor

• I had asked the defender sothe name of the defense but I was only informed as a partnership agreement.