Home Scoring and other IT questions

Teams of 16+

Played an inter county match last night, 16 players each side, 4 rounds using saved deals. Downloading results from BBO for each single teams match gives 16 single results. Is there any way of getting these results together to show in a normal cross-table format suitable for uploading to Bridgewebs etc.

Comments

• edited August 2020

The best approach is normally to upload all the UMS files into EBUScore and merge as appropriate. So you would merge the Round 1 files together ("Session 1"), Round 2 together ("Session 2"), Round 3 (S3) and Round 4 (S4). Each match should be given a section letter to ensure it works properly. You should then be able to merge the sessions together to get one overall Bridgewebs file. Each team of 4 will be individually ranked but at least all of the results will be in the same place (you could upload an Information file to Bridgewebs that said the teams of 16 overall result if you've calculated it).

The big downside here is that X-IMP scores cannot be computed because EBUScore can't work out the "movement" of the teams match (a very bizarre limitation I know but it was never a problem before everything went online). If you wanted X-IMPs, you have to create a new movement for your specific event and then upload each individual result manually (it takes a while!). This manual upload also allows you (if you want) to display it in Bridgewebs as a Teams of 8 event but EBUScore does not offer Teams of 16 compatibility. It probably is possible to edit the XML file by hand in Notepad or something to get the perfect display in Bridgewebs but I certainly wouldn't want to try it myself...

Anyway hopefully the initial solution will work for your purposes :)

• Initial solution worked fine thanks. But a lot of work. 16 results files to extract and convert to XML. Load each into EBU score, merge and combine. Then create the multisession links, 24 in total. Other than that, a breeze, and a satisfactory outcome.

• We are in the process of adding section/session merging functionality to BBOtoXML. Although this is not yet in the production release there is a beta version at http://mirgo2.co.uk/bbotoxml_beta/bbotoxml.htm . The basic procedure is similar to that described above, i.e. merge the files for each Round, then merge the Rounds.

1.Use "Review/Edit CSV" button to load a CSV file (from BBO Extractor) for Round 1 into BBOtoXML.
    2.Use the "Merge CSV" button to merge the remaining Round 1 CSV files.
    3.Use "Save CSV" to create a merged CSV for Round 1, then "Go Back" to return to the main BBOtoXML screen.
    4.Repeat Steps 1 to 3 to create 3 more CSV files corresponding to the other 3 Rounds.
    5.Now load the merged CSV file for Round 1, and merge the merged CSV files for Rounds 2, 3, and 4
    6.Save the resulting CSV and use the "Generate PBN" button to create a merged PBN file for the whole event.
    7.Return to the main screen and use "Create XML for BridgeWebs" to create the XML file for upload

This should handle the multisession links automatically. It will also calculate X-imps and include these in the XML. The output will include the data to generate the "play" links for each traveller line on Bridgewebs, whereas EBUScore does not support this. However, BBOtoXML does not know about Teams of 16, so will show the Teams individually ranked.

As you have already done the merge via EBUScore you may not wish to repeat the process. If not, then we would still be interested to do so as a way of testing our software. We would just need to know the full tournament IDs for the 16 Teams matches on BBO, or you could send us the 16 CSV files which you have already extracted if you still have them. If you would be prepared to provide this our contact details are on http://mirgo2.co.uk/bboextractor/index.php?section=4

• I will send them tomorrow sometime.

• Thanks very much for the files. For anyone else who may be interested, I have uploaded the resulting Bridgewebs XML file to my test site here. The uploaded file includes the pair Ximps and the bidding/play data for each traveller line

• @495670 said:
    The best approach is normally to upload all the UMS files into EBUScore and merge as appropriate. So you would merge the Round 1 files together ("Session 1"), Round 2 together ("Session 2"), Round 3 (S3) and Round 4 (S4). Each match should be given a section letter to ensure it works properly. You should then be able to merge the sessions together to get one overall Bridgewebs file. Each team of 4 will be individually ranked but at least all of the results will be in the same place (you could upload an Information file to Bridgewebs that said the teams of 16 overall result if you've calculated it).

The big downside here is that X-IMP scores cannot be computed because EBUScore can't work out the "movement" of the teams match (a very bizarre limitation I know but it was never a problem before everything went online). If you wanted X-IMPs, you have to create a new movement for your specific event and then upload each individual result manually (it takes a while!). This manual upload also allows you (if you want) to display it in Bridgewebs as a Teams of 8 event but EBUScore does not offer Teams of 16 compatibility. It probably is possible to edit the XML file by hand in Notepad or something to get the perfect display in Bridgewebs but I certainly wouldn't want to try it myself...

Anyway hopefully the initial solution will work for your purposes :)

• "The big downside here is that X-IMP scores cannot be computed because EBUScore can't work out the "movement" of the teams match (a very bizarre limitation I know but it was never a problem before everything went online)."

Normally EBUScore creates the Movement and uses it for Teams Ximping. It has to do that as the Teams seating is in stanzas so it would not know who sat where and for how long without that information. Because the movement is not included in the XML output, that functionality wont work. Jonathan noted that recently after Eastbourne when he was looking to Ximp the Swiss Teams.