Home EBU TDs

out of rotation , a mess

edited August 2020 in EBU TDs

Hello ,

Although this scenario , I believe, might happen very rarely but honestly writing it is going to be rather difficult for inexperienced TDs like me to handle it without some help.

N opens with 1cl but S bids 1sp OFR but before anyone calls the TD W gets exited and bids 1h ( which is insufficient ). while N is thinking what to do , suddenly E ( he is a new player in the club ,not accustomed to TD s) bids 1d crying out "huups centilmen it was my turn " Finally N , getting conscious of the mess , calls the TD.

To make it clear ;

1cl           ?              1sp                    1h          
                                     1d  

I will be really happy if you help me out how to rule it .
Looking forward to receiving from you.

Regards.

Secaaddin Özdeniz

Comments

• It doesn’t sound as if anyone is paying much attention at the table.
    I would propose the auction is halted and the Sp & H bids temporarily withdrawn.
    Allow E to bid 1D, then allow S to bid 1S. Then West to make a sufficient H bid or compatible call. Any withdrawn calls may have lead penalties if necessary.
  • Comparable not compatible
  • As per Law 29, West's bid of 1H is deemed to be accepted over South's out of turn 1S response so South's initial call out of turn stands.

Law 31 then applies when 1D is bid out of turn. The TD is called at this stage and the call of 1D can either be accepted by NS or rejected, in which case North can make any bid (law 31 subsequently explains about the rules regarding comparable calls etc. in the normal way).

If 1D is accepted then the auction continues from that point without rectification since this includes an acceptance of the initial insufficient bid.

If 1D is not accepted, then North can now choose to either accept 1H (insufficient) or apply law 27B (which again explains the rules about comparable calls etc. in the normal way).

Assuming that both bids are not accepted, the situation is now a normal insufficient bid scenario but with EW having unauthorised information from the cancelled calls. As I understand it, in this situation, East has no option to follow the comparable call procedure so lead restrictions will always apply if they become the defending side.

The best thing to remember in these situations is that the non-offending side may still be entitled to a rectified result if they appear to be damaged by EW's actions (or potentially director error!). South avoids any penalty at all because West accepted 1S through their overcall of 1H.

• Also at W’s proper turn to call in Hearts or comparable call, N could maybe accept the insufficient 1H bid.
  • I would take a simplistic approach (and hope to get away with it). Law 28B applies to the 1D call, but does not say what happens to West's 1H call. Law 28B does reference Law 16C2. West should have called the TD and should not bid 1H over 1S, so both sides are offending.

My ruling would be to let 1C and 1D stand, cancel 1S and 1H, treat 1S and 1H as withdrawn calls with both sides offending, and not apply any lead penalties.

• TagTag
    edited August 2020

28B2 applies for a call out of rotation by an opponent. If North accepts the 1H bid then East has lost his chance to bid by his partner's action. If North declines the 1H bid then East may insist on his 1D bid, cancelling the 1S bid, and both partnerships are offending sides for the purposes of Law 16C.

• It seems to me that all suggestions differ. Is it purely at TD's discretion or is there a correct procedure? I thought Robin's answer the easiest however S did bid out of turn first so why not leave these oot bids on the table and rewind the auction to E 1D, if S decides to pass his partner cannot bid for one round, but I doubt that he will so W ends up with an insufficient bid with N making a decision whether to accept or not even though his partner caused the problem in the first place.