Home Scoring and other IT questions

No names on Bridgemates

I use Bridgemates with EBUScore. When players enter their EBU numbers "No names available" appears on the screen. The names appear in the scoring programme, and then appear on the screen once I send them manually. Any ideas how I can get them to appear automatically?

Comments

• In Bridgemate Scoring have you tried selecting Set BCS Options to check in Bridgemate II where the Name Source is coming from?

• I can't help Rob with his query, but I'm keen to hear any answers. I play and direct regularly in two clubs. In one I'm the only one to use EBUScore, everyone else uses Scorebridge. Their names come up automatically, mine don't. At the other club everyone uses EBUScore, but it was set up by someone else, and the names appear automatically.

I wouldn't mind as it doesn't take a minute at the computer to send the names to the bridgemates, but the players find it so unusual when I'm directing that they call me and say "It says there are no names available - is anything wrong?"

• @VixTD said:
    I can't help Rob with his query, but I'm keen to hear any answers. I play and direct regularly in two clubs. In one I'm the only one to use EBUScore, everyone else uses Scorebridge. Their names come up automatically, mine don't. At the other club everyone uses EBUScore, but it was set up by someone else, and the names appear automatically.

I wouldn't mind as it doesn't take a minute at the computer to send the names to the bridgemates, but the players find it so unusual when I'm directing that they call me and say "It says there are no names available - is anything wrong?"

What do you have your name source set to, James?

• I've no idea; I'll let you know after my next visit to the club.

• Since I do not currently direct in a club I do not score very often. When I do I have found this No Names Available is common, sometimes on some BMs and not others, and I have given up worrying about. I also play a lot in various events and again find it happens quite often.

• Generally, when the BMs show no names available, I find the names are actually in the scoring program. From there (EBUscore) it is simple to rewrite the names to BCS, and the next round shows the names on the BMs

• I've been to the club and looked and I still don't know what my name source is set to. I've tried looking in the manual and not found anything. The player database has "EBUScore\Pairs\PSMembers.dat", and I know if I click on "change database" I get some options, including (if I remember correctly) "club names", "EBU names" or something like that. Is that what you mean? Why does changing the source change whether the names are automatically sent to the bridgemates?

• It's the same as yours, Gordon. Which one do I choose to get the names to be sent automatically?

• Having Player and EBU Names Table set should do it. If not, you could click Download EBU Database in the Player Database page, especially if there's an indication there that the one you have is out of date.

• So what is it that stops the names being sent automatically? Is it if it finds a name that's not in the database? I've downloaded the EBU database (admittedly not recently), and it normally recognises all the players in our club and county competitions.

• I am sorry for the inconvenience......

The cause is inconsistency between the EBU Database location in Bridgemate Control Program (BCS) and EBUScore. I wont bore you with the problem history other than BCS a couple of years back decided to use a virtual store location, which is a hidden area to EBUScore unless you have set certain flags.

I would suggest to set the EBU Database location to c:\Bridgemate (which future EBUScores will do)

The fix is to start up BCS (either freestanding or from the program), then Tools > Options > General> File Locations
    and set the BMPlayerDB.mdb location as 'other folder' and select C:\Bridgemate

The name source in Set BCS Options should also be either EBU Names Table or Player & EBU Names Table.
    Also you need to have run Player Database > Download EBU Database which copies it into the relevant location for Bridgemate use.It should stay that way when you update BCS.

This is all part of the installation process really...once sorted, it will thereafter always work!

This all assumes we are using EBU numbers. If we use Player IDs, then the Name source needs setting to Player Table or Player & EBU Table...and this must be done before Create Database so that the proper Name source is passed to BCS.

I would maybe look to 'forcing' this for the user of the program in the future - there was good reason not to do that pre 2015 version.

• And the Bridgemate > Admin > NBO Names File should point at the EBU Database...
    (c:\bridgemate\bmplayerdb,mdb)

• I have tried the many complicated suggestions. However.thanks to Robin, Chief TD, the fix is simple.

Go into Players Names on the event menu. . Click Player Database at the bottom,then Player management, and check "Disable using PID for name entry"