Home EBU TDs

Two suited overcalls

In a recent green point event playing 5 card majors partner as north opened 1c , I said may only be a two card suit and he may have 5 diamonds
East overcalled 2 nt which was alerted and I asked west the meaning and he said that it showed ANY two of the other 3 suits . I asked if there was an anchor suit and he said no , it didn’t have to as openers 1c was not a natural bid .
I was not sure of this but as West was a very senior EBU director I let it go
We got to our game contract so were not damages
My question is
is the above explanation correct and where about in the Blue Book Can I find it

Comments

• Did you check what their Convention Card said?
  • If this was me - it sounds like it - I actually said any two suits excluding diamonds. I agree there was no anchor suit.The Blue book reference is 7E1A.

Unfortunately the system card area for defence to short clubs is very small and it was not possible to fit it in. I was carrying my notes with me - I always do - so I could have shown him the notes if he had any doubts that we were playing it. #181 on page 83 refers.

• Thank you
    I didn’t realise that a short club opening was classed as artificial

• This gets more confusing
    Blue book 3E1
    All 1club / 1 diamond openings that might have two or fewer cards in the suit are considered artificial

Blue book 4D1
    Prepared or short 1 club/ 1 diamond openings ( which are non forcing but may be made on two cards or fewer ) are announced

At the bottom of the page

Strong and artificial 1 club or 1 diamond openings are alerted

So is the 1 club ( may be two cards ) a short club or an artificial club and
    Should it be announced or alerted

• The key phrase is 'non forcing'. If you open a precision 1 !c then that is forcing - and is alerted. If partner can pass your 1 !c call then (s)he should announce it.

So both are correct - the call is artificial - and is announced.

• @Jimmy said:

At the bottom of the page

Strong and artificial 1 club or 1 diamond openings are alerted

So is the 1 club ( may be two cards ) a short club or an artificial club and
    Should it be announced or alerted

A 2+ card non-forcing 1C opening is artificial and is announced.
    The key word in the bit quoted above is "and". A 1C opening that is BOTH artificial AND strong is alerted.

• Is the wording clear - does it mean

(Strong 1 Club or 1 diamond openings are alerted) AND (artificial 1 club or 1 diamond openings are alerted)? OR

(Strong and Artificial) 1 club or 1 diamond openings are alerted."?

• All artificial openings are alerted or announced.

Short non-forcing openings of one of a minor are announced.

All other artificial openings are alerted.

A natural suit opening shows at least four cards in the suit and does not show another suit. Additionally, a 1-level opening in a minor is natural if it shows at least three cards in the suit. If a suit opening is not natural it is artificial.