Home EBU TDs

Weak two

An opening bid of 2 spades by the player in seat 3 was announced as weak later in conversation the partner of the player said that in 3rd and 4th seat their weak two was undisciplined and could have as many as 15hcp.
My question is should this have been made clear to the opposition initially? Or is this usual?

Comments

• They could/should be announced as "weak or intermediate".

• The announcement should be "weak to intermediate"; 12-15 hcp is normally considered part of the intermediate range, and announcements are allowed to cover multiple ranges.

If an announcement of just "weak" ends up negatively affecting the opponents' bidding or play, an adjustment for misinformation would be called for (even if the hand does in fact turn out to be weak).

• I suppose the announcement should be "Weak to strong non-forcing", if the meaning of 'strong' in announcing 2-level contracts is the same as the EBU definition of 'strong'. (WBF allow any 13+ hand to be described as 'strong').

• @weejonnie said:
    I suppose the announcement should be "Weak to strong non-forcing", if the meaning of 'strong' in announcing 2-level contracts is the same as the EBU definition of 'strong'. (WBF allow any 13+ hand to be described as 'strong').

I think that "intermediate" tends to cover limited opening values. That's what people understand when I announce a Precision 2 !c as intermediate. If they want to know the details, I would expect them to ask (and they frequently do). I'm afraid that I think that bringing the word "strong" into the mix just because there is a measurable overlap between the probable HCP range of this bid and certain hands which it is permitted to describe as "strong" is not particularly helpful.

"Weak to intermediate" seems a helpful description of a wide-ranging bid that may be weak, but may be somewhat less weak because partner has already passed. The other, although perhaps humorously intended, just seems weird.

• Thanks for the clarification