Home EBU TDs

Hand Evaluation

2»

Comments

• @Alan16248 said:
    I am working from 4B1b that says if it's not announceable it may be alertable.

And the regulation I just quoted says that natural 1NT openings are announceable.

• I feel as if my last few posts have been going round in circles.
    I will stick to announcing as 12-14 as I have always done.
    Thanks for all your comments.

Alan

• @Alan16248 said:
    I am working from 4B1b that says if it's not announceable it may be alertable.

But a natural 1NT opening is announceable, so 4B1b doesn't apply.

It may be that the wording of the Blue Book can and/or should be improved, but when the EBU Chief and Deputy Chief TDs, and the Editor of the Blue Book are all essentially saying the same thing, and there is no explicit prohibition in the Blue Book of the embellishment of announcements, I think we should accept that the intention is that embellishments are permitted although (in terms of the point range) perhaps not frequently necessary. After all, the idea of an embellishment such as "good 11-14" is to help the opponents: if you say "good 11-14" they have the opportunity to ask; if you say "12-14" when you frequently upgrade 11-counts, some opponents may be misled.

I just don't think you can imply into the Blue Book a prohibition that runs against the principle of full disclosure enshrined in the Laws. The Blue Book comprises regulations which operate within the framework of the Laws.

• There is nothing in the laws about the methodology of providing information to the opponents about calls - other than 40B2a

The RA .

(iii) may prescribe alerting procedures and/or other methods of disclosure of a
    partnership’s methods.

So it is up to the EBU to ensure that the methods chosen are appropriate and accurately described. Maybe an explanatory article in the "Ask Robin" section?