Home Scoring and other IT questions

Fouled board at X-IMPs

Hi there

Playing Cross-IMP pairs, how should I be handling a fouled board in ebu score? I've got a board that's fairly obviously been played 3 times one way around, then 6 times the other. I've tried the Fouled hand function (F) but that apparently only works with matchpoint events. Do I just have to work out the scores by hand and adjust accordingly?

Comments

• I didn't realise this, but yes, it looks like you need to do it by hand using 4.2.4 of the White Book.

• This happened to me a few months ago. I found it a lot of work, but I managed in the end.

• Thanks for the advice, it's not that hard a calculation really. The results are bothering me a little bit, there's a big swing result in the group of 3 meaning that there's two +150s scoring far better than all the other 150s. Admittedly the vulnerabilities were switched and I'd expect that to have an impact on the bidding.

Is this just a feature of the scoring method here?

• There is probably a need for an equivalent of the much-derided "small subfield formula" for XIMP pairs - to limit the scores that can be achieved if the field breaks into groups of 2 or 3 tables.

• The implementation of this feature is reasonably straightforward - but it is not available in the current EBUScore release. Maybe Robin can have a stab at the small subfield formula to be used.

• Jeff: I had a short discussion (face to face, at the office!) on this subject. The small subfield formula may reduce to "don't score XIMPs for sub-fields with two results".

• Presumably same for Butler Scoring?

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:
    Jeff: I had a short discussion (face to face, at the office!) on this subject. The small subfield formula may reduce to "don't score XIMPs for sub-fields with two results".

This might apply to XIMPs for Teams events (for the purposes of NGS). It probably isn't a good reason not to score the board for a XIMP pairs event, though you might do something akin to the "small subfield formula".