Home Scoring and other IT questions

Separate Events using Scorebridge

I have been attempting to run two separate events using scorebridge with bridgemates. Have followed the scorebridge help settings exactly, opening two copies of scorebridge. All the bridgemates show the results for both events as if we were running one event with two sections. Neither Scorebridge nor Bridgemate companies can advise me and I question whether it is possible.
Can anyone advise?
Nick

Comments

• It's certainly possible - I used to do it a lot but haven't for a long time now. As far as I remember there's a setting in Scorebridge to have the results from the two events displayed separately rather than combining them as one event.

• You may have checked this, sorry if not what you want.
    On the Scorebridge website there is a page of user guides. The South Bucks one covers this at page 21

http://www.scorebridge.com/userdocs.html (you will have to copy and paste ths in your browser)

Hope this helps.
    CMOT_Dibbler

• @CMOT_Dibbler said:
    You may have checked this, sorry if not what you want.
    On the Scorebridge website there is a page of user guides. The South Bucks one covers this at page 21

http://www.scorebridge.com/userdocs.html (you will have to copy and paste ths in your browser)

Hope this helps.
    CMOT_Dibbler

This doesn't seem to cover this particular problem. In the BCS options you need to uncheck the box "Group Sections for Results but you can achieve this in Scorebridge by unchecking 'Group all sections together' before creating the first event.

• Paul - Thats not right........

For BM2, the GroupSections setting is not used at all. It is a BM Pro setting that is only used as legacy for BM2 when the Tables.Group field is missing or does not contain a value. But this is bad practice.

The scoring program decides which sections are grouped together and the scoring program must set the Tables.Group field correctly. This way the scoring program is able to control exactly the behaviour which sections should/should not be grouped.

The functionality of sections grouping hasn’t been changed since 2012.

• Thanks for this. Still can't stop the bridgemates seemingly merging the two events. How significant is the instruction... 'having started the first event, then open a second copy of scorebridge'.? Maybe I am starting both events at the same time?.
    The scorebridge help screen says that you will be asked whether the first event has been started or not. That question doesn't show up when I do it!
    Cheers, Nick

• This is great interest to me too. We have 14 tables for our Christmas party and so i am thinking 2 sections of 7, with separate results. I will have a play the night before and see where we get
  • You need to check with Stephen Bligh, but the change in 2012 meant that BCS looked for a Tables.Group value and combined accrodingly. I dont know if SB plants that table value and if the value was planted but left as zero, whence all sections would be combined. To be fair this was also a problem with EBU Score (and Mike Rothwells BridgeScrorer and others) till we all realised crca about 2017 (!), that the GroupSections no longer had any effect. The new scheme is better because it allows you to group tables and show match scores in Teams, whereas the old GroupSections was only really relevant to multisection pairs events.

• Veering off topic ... I used Group Sections for showing separate divisions in a pairs league (scored as Swiss Pairs); but this no longer works. Is there a setting in BCS or EBUScore I can use.
  • Good question! You could try this manually in BCS (though it wont take long). After launching BCS, use Tools > Database > Database Editor > Tables. The Sections will be numbered 1,2,3 in left column andaAll the Tables (right column) will have Group = 1. Just change the Group to 2 for Section 2 and 3 for Section 3. That way, you should get the results from the independent sections....but the Grouping was more intended for head to head matches, so it may be this will not work.

• Hi,
    I’m a bit rusty on this, but I used to do it quite frequently at my old club about 4 years ago.
    My recollection is there is a ScoreBridge setting. There is a checkbox choice to always combine (or not combine) sections/sessions.
    Note, after setting up the first ScoreBridge event, the choice for the 2nd event should be to start a new Session rather than a new Section. Also for the first event the BridgeMates need to be set for Section A, with the other BridgeMates set for Section B for the 2nd event.

• edited December 2019

@** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** said:
    I've been digging into this some more (I needed to do this for myself), and discovered that when "Group Sections" in EBUScore is turned off, the BWS is created with Tables.Group set to 0 for all tables (I haven't looked into whether it sets it with "Group Sections" on as that's irrelevant). This should be a working configuration.

However, the latest BCS (v3.7.6) immediately sets all the Tables.Group to 1 for itself, in contradiction to the BM Dev Guide documentation (which states that "Group Sections" will be honoured in a BWS set up like this). This is not helpful.

I also found that importing different PBNs into each section (directly in BCS) didn't work as expected either, which may be a connected problem (the BridgeMates in both sections showed the B hands, which threw lead validation off completely in section A!). Interestingly, there's no obvious way to completely remove hands in BCS (I didn't have an empty PBN to hand to try!), and I landed up using the TD Menu "Erase Hand Record" from a BM (lots of times).

If (like me) you have utilities to directly manipulate BWS files, you should be able to work around this by updating Tables.Group to distinct values after "Create Database" in EBUScore and before "Launch BCS". Simulating this in a VM with BCS, and directly setting Tables.Group = Tables.Section for each table in the BWS before launching BCS, the Group values remained as expected (ie BCS did not modify them).

I will discover what happens in a live environment tonight (the PBN issue won't get tested though, as both sections will be playing the same Sims boards).

Thank you, ** [Name & original comment removed at contributor's request]** for this. Perhaps connected to the same problem - using BridgeScore, I found that when I had two sections with different ScoringType, the results in second section were displayed with the ScoringType of the first section.
    So, for example, when Section1.ScoringType=3 (ximp pairs) and Section2.ScoringType=1 (MP Pairs) AND Tables.Group=0, then result in both sections is displayed as imps and sections are merged.
    If however I set Tables.Group=Tables.Section, everything works perfectly. Sections are not merged and section 1 results are displayed as imps and section 2 as %.
    The problem first occurred in BCS v3.6.10.