Home Scoring and other IT questions

Scoring teams for late arrivals

In a club teams of 4 match (11 teams) a pair is unavoidably delayed (traffic incident) and is unable to play 4 boards. These boards are only played by the other pair in the team.

My understanding is that the 4 boards are scored +3 IMPs to the opposing team.

However I wondered about the score uploaded for NGS, which I believe is based on cross-imps. In this respect, the score on boards played by only one pair of the team can still be compared to the other scores in the room. So should the table score be uploaded, or should this be replaced by AVE- or -3 IMPs?

Tim

Comments

• If you put 60/40 as the score at the table on each board that was not played but leave the results obtained at the other table in the match then
    1. The boards will be scored as +3IMP in the match
    2. The results at the other table will be used for the (all important :)) pairs cross-IMP and NGS.

If there is one artificial score on a board in a match, then that is the score and the other (real) result is not used. (If there are two different artificial scores, the score is based on averaging the artificial scores.)

• What if one (or more) of the results was particularly favourable to the non offending side(s)? Doesn't L86 tell us to assign a score to reflect the swing that would reasonably be expected as a result of the result obtained ... if it would be more than 3IMPS?

Peter

• edited December 2018

What if one (or more) of the results was particularly favourable to the non offending side(s)?

Not just the non-offending side, if only one board is cancelled: Law 86B1 applies if either side get a (clearly) favourable result. "... the result at the other table between the same contestants is clearly favourable to one side, ..."

But if multiple boards are cancelled at one table, and some results at the other table are favourable to the non-offending side, then Law 86B2(b) is applicable.

It is best to arrange things so that the boards not played due to late arrival are not played at either table in the match.

[Edited after midnight: might still contain errors.]

• @Robin_BarkerTD said:

What if one (or more) of the results was particularly favourable to the non offending side(s)?

Not just the non-offending side, if only one board is cancelled: Law 86B1 applies if either side get a (clearly) favourable result. "... the result at the other table between the same contestants is clearly favourable to one side, ..."

But if multiple boards are cancelled at one table, and some results at the other table are favourable to the non-offending side, then Law 86B2(b) is applicable.

It is best to arrange things so that the boards not played due to late arrival are not played at either table in the match.

[Edited after midnight: might still contain errors.]

Ah, I was half-reading "multiple results" to refer to teams of 8 or 12 type matches.

I was playing-director in a KO match last week where the other table managed to put a board we had played at my table on their table arrow-switched ... and not notice until they had all looked at the(ir) cards! The result at my table was 1C=. I made a ruling that gave 0IMPS to each side at fault. We lost by 20 IMPS so no one gave it a second thought. The offending table re-dealt the board and played it (before telling me what had happened) ... thinking we could play it in its new form and thereby get a comparison.

Peter

• The original question referred to the score uploaded for NGS based on XImps. I had discussed this recently with Robin when in a recent NBL Team of 8 match, a team had arrived late and missed 4 of 8 boards. We think NGS boards with no bridge result should not count. Pairs XIMP should only reflect boards played so not include lateness penalty, failure to count your cards etc. However as I recall, this was not necessarily a view shared by the NGS committee who are the authority on this matter!