Home EBU TDs

System cards

Is the system card " EBU20b", the only acceptable card in club or county events? And if so where is the law which states this?

Comments

• Start off with Law 40A1

A. Players’ Systemic Agreements
    1. (a) Partnership understandings as to the methods adopted by a partnership may be reached
    explicitly in discussion or implicitly through mutual experience or awareness of the
    players.
    (b) Each partnership has a duty to make its partnership understandings available to its
    opponents. The Regulating Authority specifies the manner in which this is done.

Now go to the Blue Book - which shows us the manner in which the EBU does this i.e. via a system card.

3 B Types of system card
    Note: System Card is the name used in the Laws for what was previously called Convention Card.
    3 B 1 Tournament organisers may specify which system cards are acceptable. The following are permitted in EBU events:
    (a) The tournament organiser or TD may allow the use of a simplified system card, such as the front of an EBU scorecard, if the partnership’s methods are simple enough to be adequately described in this form.
    (b) The EBU 20B system card is the standard EBU card.
    (c) The WBF system card is permitted only in EBU events held at Level 5. Tournament organisers such as County Associations may choose to permit it in other events.
    3 B 2 Computer-produced versions of system cards are permitted so long as they contain the same information in substantially the same layout and in a similar size.

The EBU is not the RA for clubs - so they can decide how to implement 40A1(b)

• interesting weejonnie.

I will definitely have bated breath at my next congress waiting for a pair to arrive with their system cards printed on A0 size paper (3B2) and watch how they make their system cards available for their opponents at each round.

CMOT_Dibbler

• @CMOT_Dibbler said:
    interesting weejonnie.

I will definitely have bated breath at my next congress waiting for a pair to arrive with their system cards printed on A0 size paper (3B2) and watch how they make their system cards available for their opponents at each round.

CMOT_Dibbler

Computer generated cards are often done as A4, A5 or A6 - as paper, white or coloured card or even laminated. The printed format doesn't matter.

Alan

• I see 3B2 as specifically permitting the use of a tablet or similar device to make your "system card" available to opponents.

Peter

• @pg10003 said:
    I see 3B2 as specifically permitting the use of a tablet or similar device to make your "system card" available to opponents.

Peter

I can't see this as a practical method. Call me a pessimist but I would have visions of being called as a Director to sort out responsibility for dropped iPads and broken screens.

Alan

• @16248 said:

@pg10003 said:
    I see 3B2 as specifically permitting the use of a tablet or similar device to make your "system card" available to opponents.

Peter

I can't see this as a practical method. Call me a pessimist but I would have visions of being called as a Director to sort out responsibility for dropped iPads and broken screens.

At a recent EBU TD training weekend, it seemed that those who referred to the Laws of Bridge on their tablets were slower to find the appropriate page than those who used printed law books. However, a system card is much smaller so it's probably less impractical to show that on a tablet, though anyone who is unfamiliar with using a table might have difficulty scrolling through. We need to all remember that system cards are intended primarily for the benefit of the opponents, rather than as a method of filing system agreements.

• @weejonnie said:
    The EBU is not the RA for clubs - so they can decide how to implement 40A1(b)

The EBU is not the RA for Counties either, but most Counties will follow the regulations in the Blue Book.

@pg10003 said:

Peter

Only two players that I know carry tablets around with them at (apparently) all times. Many more people have smartphones, of course, although I doubt that a "card" displayed on one of those would satisfy the "similar size" criterion. For those players who have extensive system notes as well as a system card, it might be useful to have those on a device to provide evidence of anything that didn't fit on the system card, but as an opponent I would much rather read what I would expect to find on a system card from a good old fashioned piece of paper/card.

• ... and of course allowing players to access "Smart Devices" during a match is fraught with issues.

• I recall one of my partners was permitted to use a card on his phone once. I guess it's not as easy to flick through, but with 4 pages finding the right bit of information shouldn't be too much of a problem. It occurs to me that phones do go into sleep mode, sometimes lock themselves, etc. and occasionally run out of power, there's a few more ways it can go wrong. I think if the information is available it should be allowed, probably not encouraged.

I think tablets are useful for finding white book or blue book references, with the electronic versions searches are useful for larger documents. With the law book you'd have to know what to search for, and that's not always intuitively obvious. You do get a feel for the layout of the lawbook after a while.

• A pair of (leading) opponents did not have a system card between them in a Gold Cup match last season. One of them produced his laptop and displayed his card on that. I preferred they explained their methods and the laptop was used to keep up to date with the one day international on at the time.

• Wow, I mean Gosh and there was me thinking of two of those pavement Blackboardy/advertising thingys with our system chalked on it for everyone to see. I suppose I could take two 55 inch TV screens and put our system cards up on them! Wonder if that would allow us to claim a "sitters" seat?

CMOT_Dibbler