Home EBU TDs

Confusion over 2C opening bids

2»

Comments

• @weejonnie said:

@Tag said:

@weejonnie said:

@Tag said:
    Back to the 2 !c discussion. A few weeks ago, partner opened 2C (our strongest bid, a hand of power and quality etc) with nothing but KQJ10 to nine clubs, a total of six points.

After an auction of 2C-2D-3C-4NT-6C, I knew that something was awry and left him in 6C, which made on a misdefence. I was not best pleased with partner who defensively said that he'd psyched. I suggested to the opponents that they report the psych but couldn't think of any other redress for them, since it's no longer illegal to psych an opening 2C bid. They could make five of either major and I simply felt that we'd cheated them, although we might have ended up in a 6C sacrifice.

I assume that you didn't have a systemic meaning for 6C - some players would use it to show a working void. If so this would be judged, I think, a 'red' psych and there would be an automatic adjustment 60%-15%. if we want to discuss 'fielding' then I think we should start another thread, however. If it wasn't judged to be a 'red' psych then there is nothing your opponents can do.

The EBU had to revoke the ruling you couldn't psych your strongest bid since someone argued that with a hand such as:

AKQJ
    AKQ
    AKQ
    AKQ

They would open 7NT - thus showing a stronger hand than a 2C opener.

Interesting observation. As it is, we don't play 6C as part of the system, although with some partners it would show a void and an odd number of keycards. I was considering 7C or even 7NT when I remembered that I don't play that with this partner.

As such, I simply knew that something was wrong, so passed. It never crossed my mind that I might be fielding a psych at that point and it wasn't until the cards started to come out that I saw what the situation actually was.

I am sure you weren't - however the EBU are very particular about fielding psyches. WB 1.4.2.1.

"As the judgement by the TD will be objective, some players may be understandably upset that their actions are ruled to be fielding. If a player psyches and their partner takes action that appears to allow for it then the TD will treat it as fielding."

Thanks for the heads-up. If it happens again, though, he'll be losing a partner.

• @Tag said:
    Back to the 2 !c discussion. A few weeks ago, partner opened 2C (our strongest bid, a hand of power and quality etc) with nothing but KQJ10 to nine clubs, a total of six points.

After an auction of 2C-2D-3C-4NT-6C, I knew that something was awry and left him in 6C, which made on a misdefence. I was not best pleased with partner who defensively said that he'd psyched. I suggested to the opponents that they report the psych but couldn't think of any other redress for them, since it's no longer illegal to psych an opening 2C bid. They could make five of either major and I simply felt that we'd cheated them, although we might have ended up in a 6C sacrifice.

It is a little odd for a player who claims to have psyched, by showing a strong hand when he holds a pre-emptive one, to bid more than he needs to (by bidding 6 !c as opposed to answering Key cards), as even if there is no specific agreement jumps to slam over Blackwood are usually played as showing something extra rather than an attempt to get partner to stop bidding. I, too, would have not been best pleased with partner as I would have suspected that he felt that 2 !c was actually the best opening on the hand ("eight tricks, partner!"), and might therefore do it again.

But contemplating ruling a red psyche when the "psycher"'s partner drives to Blackwood and guesses to pass an undiscussed jump to slam seems a bit of a stretch. I don't know the hand, of course, but amber sends a warning shot across opener's bows which seems fine in the circumstances.

• @Abbeybear said:

@Tag said:

It is a little odd for a player who claims to have psyched, by showing a strong hand when he holds a pre-emptive one, to bid more than he needs to (by bidding 6 !c as opposed to answering Key cards), as even if there is no specific agreement jumps to slam over Blackwood are usually played as showing something extra rather than an attempt to get partner to stop bidding. I, too, would have not been best pleased with partner as I would have suspected that he felt that 2 !c was actually the best opening on the hand ("eight tricks, partner!"), and might therefore do it again.

But contemplating ruling a red psyche when the "psycher"'s partner drives to Blackwood and guesses to pass an undiscussed jump to slam seems a bit of a stretch. I don't know the hand, of course, but amber sends a warning shot across opener's bows which seems fine in the circumstances.

I said that a red psych would only apply if the 6 !c response was conventional understood by both members of the partnership. Without that, then, as you say, amber would be enough. Of course if partner had 16+ points then it would be very difficult to see how they could avoid bidding e,g, 6NT (at pairs)

• TagTag
    edited January 2019

On the actual hand I held
    !s K10
    !h AQ54
    !d 10853
    !c A53

We're getting a little off-topic for a TD discussion but the suggestion that a fielded psyche ruling might be possible prompts me to continue. Feel free to criticise...

It was possible that he held an odd number of keycards and a void in hearts. The thought that my hearts were looking only marginally useful and that we didn't play that extension to RKCB caused me to bail. I thought I'd win the post-mortem, at least. Little did I know.

It is also odd that he decided to jump to 6C, since we play 1430 and his natural response with one keycard would have been 5C, which I'd know couldn't mean four of them. On a spade lead, we only make 10 tricks, they take two spades and a diamond.

• @Tag said:
    On the actual hand I held
    !s K10
    !h AQ54
    !d 10853
    !c A53

We're getting a little off-topic for a TD discussion but the suggestion that a fielded psyche ruling might be possible prompts me to continue. Feel free to criticise...

It was possible that he held an odd number of keycards and a void in hearts. The thought that my hearts were looking only marginally useful and that we didn't play that extension to RKCB caused me to bail. I thought I'd win the post-mortem, at least. Little did I know.

It is also odd that he decided to jump to 6C, since we play 1430 and his natural response with one keycard would have been 5C, which I'd know couldn't mean four of them. On a spade lead, we only make 10 tricks, they take two spades and a diamond.

I won't comment further - as you say discussion on psychs (although no doubt of great value) should be on a different thread. I am pretty sure you did win the post-mortem anyway.

• ♠️KQT9
    ♥️
    ♦️AJ87
    ♣️Q9872

So, is the above hand counted as a Strong Two ♣️ opener?
  • No. 12HCP and 3 high-card controls (A=2, K=1). The regulation requires 5 high-card controls (or more HCP).

The shortage control does not count for the purposes of the regulation.

It is permitted to agree to open this hand with 2C, if 2C shows clubs.

• Thank you Robin, as I thought.